Wednesday, May 30, 2012

2012-5-30  Kapalua:

Today we attended the island orientation/excursions talk by the pool. As we walked there, we were treated to a good view of the 2 islands off the Southern coast---Molokini (the middle island) and Maui county's unpopulated island of Kaho'olawe behind Molokini.  Kaho'olawe is the smallest of the 8 main volcanic islands in the Hawaiian Islands at about 11 miles long and 6 miles wide and already has quite a history.  Kaho'olawe gets almost no rainfall and most of it's vegetation that had been cut down years ago when early Hawaiians used it for firewood and agriculture.  Later wars between Hawaiian rulers led to more destruction there.  In the 1830s it became a penal colony but many prisoners starved or tried to swim across to Maui to find food.  Then it became a cattle ranch for a few years and finally suplet to the USArmy in 1941 where it was used for military training and bombing practice.  The bombing continued until 1990 even though in 1981 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.   In 1994 it was finally given over to the state of Hawaii who turned it into a reserve and are now trying to restore it.
It was our 3rd day here; time to hit the water!  I had picked up a great Snorkel Maui, Lanai and Molokai book from Walmart and scoured it to decide where we should go.  We decided to head up to Kapalua Bay.  The ride up to the northwest side of the island was interesting.  Even got to go through a tunnel.
I chose Kapalua Bay because it was listed as a perfect place for beginner snorkelers and has lots of sandy beach.  Carolyn had said she was going to try snorkeling so I chose accordingly.  She ended up just sitting on the beach reading, but the bay didn't disappoint the experienced snorkeler in me!  I will be going back here next Feb.!
Just to the left of the above picture was my first snorkeling discovery---this sea turtle very close to shore. 
I'm thinking this guy is a cigar fish. 
There were several varieties of triggerfish here!  Here's one I've never seen before.  I think it is a Gilded Triggerfish or possibly a filefish. 
I would guess this to be a blue-eye Damselfish.  Never seen one of these guys before, either.
These convict tangs seem to be popular on all the islands.  This school was right by the shore.
We found a little shady spot at the far left of the beach.  I took a break from snorkeling long enough to check on Carolyn.  The water was a very comfortable 78 degrees or so.
Then I headed out a 2nd time--heading back to the far right side of the beach which had much better snorkeling then the left side.  One of the first critters I saw this time was this red day octopus.
Another view of the octopus from the other side.  I hung around awhile hoping it would swim again, but it just did it's camouflage act.
So I was off to find more interesting sea life.  Here I found a Multiband Butterflyfish.

 
Here's another Kind of triggerfish I've never seen before.  I'm pretty sure this one is a Lei Triggerfish.
Although I've seen trumpetfish several places, not just around Hawaii, this one definately had some of the prettiest markings.
Another new species to me.  I'm guessing it would be another type of filefish?
 
Here's a little guy I saw for the first time last Feb. on Kauai and didn't know what it was.  My snorkel book says it's an Arc-eye Hawkfish.
I believe this is a whitemouth moray eel, but it didn't open it's mouth for me to know for sure.
And one last picture at Kapalua Beach as the sun dropped lower in the sky.
By 6 or so, we decided it was time to start heading back.   Even got treated to this tiny bit of a rainbow.  We didn't encounter any rain our whole trip (another big plus after always going to rainy Kauai in Feb./March!).  Figures, we go to Kauai when there's lots of rain and don't see many rainbows and go to Maui when there's no rain and see a rainbow!
We got into Kihei in time to head to the beach and wait for sunset.  This time we stopped at  Kamaole Beach Park I.
We noticed this outdoor roller rink by the park.  Made me want to relive my younger days and go skating.  But we just watched awhile then went and ate.
One last sunset picture from Kamaole Park I.
Another beautiful way to end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...