Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Feb. 20, 2013: Honolua snorkeling---


 Woke up early again (for me!)---7 am, so I thought it would be a good day to head up to the west side.  My goal was to snorkel Honolua Bay.    There weren't any surf advisories for that side of the island, but high winds were still blowing!  The winds started before we got to Maui and haven't stopped.  Gusts of 50m/h, but it seems like it was gusting the whole day! But snorkeling at Honolua turned out to be quite good!  Here was our first view of the bay from the overlook above.
 I had read about the dirt path and the locked gate, so this didn't phase us.
 I did not read about a river we'd have to cross, but we forged away!
Almost immediately upon entering the bay, I came across a school of these guys.  I had never seen them before.  I guess they are a goat fish, with a pretty striped tail. (Bandtail goatfish)

 If memory serves me correctly, this is a pearl wrasse?
 A lei triggerfish.
 An ornate butterfly fish
 something like an oval butterfly fish?
The largest trumpet fish I've ever seen!
 The largest coral head I've ever seen!  And there were a bunch of them out there!  I stayed to the right of the bay, but looks like the left side has good coral, too.  Wish I could have stayed out longer!  But there were lots of areas of fresh water entering into the bay and that water was COLD.   Those areas of fresh water and salt water also made temporary blurry areas.
 Gold ring surgeonfish?
Belted wrasse. 
 Puffer?
 blue striped snapper and long nosed butterfly fish?
After sitting around gazing at the beautiful bay for awhile, we headed back up the trail.  The short walk was really beautiful.  Here's just one part of it right before crossing over the river again.
 Love this tree in the middle of the rain forest.
 Back by the car, there were a bunch of these interesting Dr. Suess looking plants!
We continued past Honolua and checked out more of the west side, starting with this overview of Honolua Bay showing off the coral heads I was snorkeling around (the bottom right of the picture).
 Saw these interesting flowers near the overview, too.
 The rugged coastline was beautiful.  Reminded me a lot of the Oregon coast.
 Another gorgeous view.
 We made it to our turnaround place---the blow hole.  I'm always amazed that people have to be "reminded" of dangers!
This was as close as I got to the blow hole, but there were plenty of people looking for the WaterPark.  There was also a couple talking right behind me about how they never take pictures of scenery and don't see the point.  If they take any pictures, it's got to be of people they know.  I can't imagine not taking pictures!
 Heading back now, marveling at the red cliffs and the blue water.
 Honolua deserved another picture.  I was so happy I was able to go there in the winter!
We tried to go snorkel at Kapalua Bay, but after driving around waiting for a parking spot for quite awhile, I got out to take some pictures, then we continued on.  We will be back! 

 By now it was time for lunch/dinner.  I had been to the Maui Brewing Company with my Dad years ago and looked forward to going again.  So that's where we went.
Nachos and fish and chips (and Bikini Blonde beer for me).  Yumm!!!
Then we tried to go to Kaanapali Beach, but could only find one of the parking lots and it was, of course, full.  So rather disgustedly I consented to heading back to our side of the island.  I did enjoy the views along the way!

 Even got cheered up by this rainbow!
 The ever changing views as we drove along are mesmerizing!
We even drove through the marina and found this whale interesting.  I'll have to admit I've been a bit disappointed in the whale sightings so far. Seen a few spouts, but no breeching.
 We ended up at Wailea Grand for sunset.  As we headed to the beach I found these plants interesting.  The flowers looked like stephanotis (sp), but  I have no idea what these pods are.

 The beach was pretty.
 There was even a couple getting wedding pictures taken, so I took one, too.  Note the whale spouting in the background!
Not your typical sunset picture.

OK, more typical.
 Even saw the "green flash"!
 Another pretty flower as we headed back to the car.
After a dip in the pool and jacuzzi, it was back to the room.  Edit through the pictures, and back to McDonald's.  My excuse is to upload these pictures, but they make a pretty good hot fudge sundae, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...