Friday, March 2, 2012

March 2, 2012:  Lawai and Poipu

And another Kauai vacation is about to come to an end!  Time goes by so quickly these days!!!  At least it ended with some sunshine!  To help insure that, we headed south.   On our way, I made DH detour a bit in Lihue (or Puhi---or whatever it is) so I could get a picture of this driveway.  We need a new driveway!  I think this would be perfect in St. Louis!  And the original owners would probably never know I stole their idea!!!

After the little detour, we continued south.   I've read lots of rave reviews about Joe's on the Green, so decided we should finally try it. 
 To describe it in one word----Wow!!!!!  I can't believe we waited 11 years to go here!!!!  Being on the golf course, I expected the views to be awesome, but I didn't realize you actually ate outside.  I also wondered if they had a dress code, but they let us in with our swimsuits and coverups and others were dressed pretty much the same.
 Prices seemed reasonable, too.  Maybe even a bit less expensive then our meals at Olympic Cafe!  The lunch menu looked really good, too.  Will definately be going back here!
On our way out, we said good bye to this little guy.
 Then we turned and saw this one!  Never saw a brown one here on Kauai before.
 It was time to get our last snorkeling fix for a LONG time.  So we headed to Lawai.  Note---we actually got to use the sun umbrella we borrowed!  This was the first time we had a chance to use it!
 OK---I like palm trees, and triggerfish!  Since I included the ones from Tunnels, I have to include this black triggerfish from Lawai.  Lawai is still the only place I've seen these guys.  Only saw one this trip.  I hope they aren't being fished out!
Also came across this guy.  I imagine it's a type of bleney, but I've never seen one like this before .  There were actually several of them on the dead coralhead right by the shoreline.  (strasburg's Blenny?)
After spending about 3 hours here, we decided to go throw our lei flowers in the water at the small boat harbor.  So far the flowers have always come back to shore, so that means we keep coming back!
 Even saw several fish in the water---made me wonder what it would be like to snorkel there?!  I imagine it's probably against some law, though.
 I know it hadn't been that long since breakfast, but we were thirsty.  So off to Bubba's.  Of course, we had to eat, too.  I even had a chili dog---it was very good. 
 I couldn't help but notice this sign!  I think it applies to me!!!!
 Then we headed off to Poipu beach.  Found some interesting birds (Hawaiian Stilt or Ae'o) enjoying the new Poipu lake (x-Poipu beach parking lot!)
Once we put all our stuff on the beach and headed out to snorkel, we first tried the area by the lifeguard stand again.  Again there were hardly any fish there.  Did see this in that area---a wierd sea cucumber, I presume (Light-spotted sea cucumber?).
We didn't hang out in that area very long before heading over to the other side of the tombula.  There were lots of fish there.  But you sure could tell the difference in the clarity of the water after being at Tunnels the last 2 days!  Visibility was at best "fair".
 But there were a lot of species of fish and we stayed entertained for quite awhile.
 About 5:30, Ken was itching to leave.  Had to get back to the east side and get ready for our midnight flight.  So one last picture of Koloa as we headed out.
 And another picture of green stuff!!!  Don't know when we'll see that again!  I'm sure nothing's green in the midwest yet! 

Now on to packing!  Can't believe our time is up already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...