Monday, February 19, 2018

2008-2-19  Walk along the Kam beaches, snorkel Ahihi.

The weather forecast talked about there being more rain in the forecast.  So I was surprised when I looked outside and saw blue skies and not a cloud in the sky.    It was definitely time to get out and enjoy the beautiful blues of the ocean again.  So I took another walk.  This time South from our condo----along Kam 1, 2, and 3.
This is Kam 1.  Lots of people were already out enjoying the ocean. 
I expected the water to be pretty brown, but it looked good! 


It was a nice route with lots of opportunity to duck into the shade.  It was hot and humid (not Midwest humid, but humid for Hawaii). 
Love the palm shadows on the sand!  This is looking over Kam 1 from the South end of it.
Looking out from the S end of Kam.1
another view of Kam 1---very busy today

the walk from Kam 1 to Kam 2 is behind a couple hotels or timeshares. They sure have nice views!
Path from S. of the hotels to Kam 2.
There's also a route that stays up on the grass and goes by another hotel.
Looking back towards the point.
looking towards Kam 2 again.
the Kam 2 lifeguard station
passing the station.
approaching the S. end of Kam 2

N. end of Kam 3.
The point of Kamaoli. 
the point between Kam 2 and 3
Looking towards Kam 3
a family exploring the tide pools.
continuing to Kam 3
the area I snorkeled the other day at the North end of Kam 3
Kam 3 seems to have the most grass and trees---and parking.  It even has a playground.  Probably my favorite of the Kam. beaches, but Kam 1 is certainly more convenient from our condo.
the lifeguard station at Kam 3
continuing on the walkway along the Kam 3 beach.
wheelchair ramp at Kam. 3
people everywhere!
more people.
starting back to the condo---more of Kam 3
coming to the S end of kam 2
The upper route takes you back to the sidewalk by Kihei Rd., so I decided to walk part of the way in the sand.
So enticing!


Back up to the upper path mid way through Kam 2 was this little jewel.  In the Georgia area, they like to paint rocks and leave them around for people to find.  On the Oregon coast they have hand blown glass balls.   This could be an interesting Hawaii tradition!
Another odd thing---do people still use these?  Does this work?  I did notice it said a call cost $.50. 
Did have to go to the sidewalk by Kihei Rd. to get to the path to the upper area between Kam 2 and 1.  Then there's this odd pathway leading back towards the ocean.
continuing past the hotels.
more bougainvillea! 
more shadows.
purple ground cover flowers

Back to Kam 1 and back to our condo.
After that walk, I had to get in the ocean.  I thought the water here in the S. would be brown, but it looked great from my walk.  So we jumped in the car and headed S.  Ended up at Ahihi.
With all the people at the other beaches, I was surprise there weren't more people here.
In fact for part of the time I was the only one in the cove.
It was a bit murkier then I expected, but the leaves sure looked pretty.
the fish didn't look too bad, either---as long as they were closer then this picture.
love all the varieties of butterflyfish
little white spot boxfish
lots of large yellow tangs here.
a flounder
school of convict tangs.
school of yellowfin goatfish
since no one else was in the water, I hung out near the shoreline while Ken sat on the rock wall.
school of young parrot fish
another yellow tang
white spotted toby
this heart was waiting for me by my towel.
after sitting out enjoying the sun and views for awhile, we headed back to the parking lot
it's about 1/4 mile, but very scenic.
We had planned to go to Cafe Ole' for a late lunch/ early dinner, but life got in the way again.  I went to get my wedding ring (which I had put up when we got here because I knew I'd be in the ocean a lot and didn't want to wear it in the ocean).  We scoured the whole condo, but the ring and it's box are nowhere to be found.  So we called the police to get a police report for insurance purposes.  Not that it's extremely expensive, but I've had it for almost 43 years!  I'm still hoping it reappears, but am not very hopeful.  I wear my glasses in the ocean and loose them.  Don't wear my ring in the ocean and loose it!  I hope the staff didn't take it (we've had 2 cleanings and 2 maintenance issues), but we did find that the windows to the bedrooms were unlocked.  So if you see this ring---let me know!!! 
Too late for lunch at Cafe O'le, so dinner ended up being a take out order from 808 deli.  I got the Kula Strawberry salad---very good!  We took our dinner over to Kam 3 and had a picnic.
Still had almost an hour 'til sunset when we were done eating, so we headed to the beach behind Time's market.  We weren't the only ones.
lots of people there and lots of palm trees.


lots of photo ops.
even to the East---where Haleakala had turned pink.
one last picture of tonight's sunset.
Nice to have a sunset again.  Only have two more opportunities to catch another one this trip!

4 comments:

  1. So sorry your ring was taken! After 43 years, that has to feel like a big loss. Someone told me you were on Maui, so I am busy enjoying your pictures. Hope today is a better day. And you find that ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jettybetty. Yes, it still seems unreal that someone would take my ring. I can't imagine never seeing it again!

      Delete
  2. must have been all the well wishes---it's back!

    ReplyDelete

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...