Sunday, February 18, 2018

2018-2-18 walking around Kihei, waiting for the rain

The forecast said it was going to rain.  It also said it was going to flood.  It also said the ocean was murky.  So I woke up and expected it to be pouring.  It wasn't.  After sitting around the condo awhile, I decided to take a walk.  I did leave my DSLR back in the condo and took my waterproof camera with me.
It was totally cloudy and thundering.  But I went anyway.  I decided to head north along the beach from Charlie Young Park.
The cloudy weather did make flower pictures more brilliant. 
So I took a lot of flower pictures.


Looking South at Kam 1 beach.
Don't know who the artist is, but this looks like it's going to be quite an impressive piece of art.
Charlie Young "beach"
one of the many butterflies all over Maui right now.
heading north

almost to the area where the surfers school is.

I've noticed a lot of these yellow flowers, but didn't pay attention until now that it's growing from an aloe plant.  I didn't know aloes bloomed!
a weird little pod.
Cove park.
Looking back towards Cove park from Kalama park.  At this point, I noticed how dark the clouds had gotten by where I started my walk.  It was also still thundering.  No lightening that I could see, but lots of thunder.  I decided to start back.
right along the sidewalk by Cove Park---bananas!
love bougainvillea!
A flowering vine
the purple flowers on the ground cover on the beach.
I was sitting on a bench at Kam 1 when I noticed this water spout! 
It actually stuck around for several minutes. 
then it receded back up into the air and became a little white cloud.
the end of the water spout.
Still no rain, just lots of thunder.  By now it was about 1:30 pm.
I decided to head back to the condo --- one last view towards Kam 1
I decided to return the first pair of glasses.  Of course I do see a lot better our of the more expensive ones with the high index lenses.  So we headed to Kuhului.  Looks like they did have some rain, but not while we were there.
love how this tree is mimicking the sign.
Got the glasses returned.  Service at LensCrafters is top notch!  Ken had an urge for a quick snack at  McDonald's, so why not!  That was a cheap easy dinner tonight.
Still had time before sunset, so we decided to drive down the S. coast again.  Ended up at Big Beach.
We usually don't go there since it's not a snorkel beach, but it is a pretty beach.  Since we weren't snorkeling, we decided to go there.
I walked along the beach a bit.
Even though it was still thundering, people were enjoying the ocean.  Coming from the Midwest, I'm always amazed when I see people in the water when there's thunder (and somewhere up there has to be lightening if there's thunder). 
Boy how I miss volleyball.  I was a varsity player in college and played up until I had knee surgery about 3 years ago.  It's frustrating when you know what to do and have the muscle recall, but the body doesn't let you do it well anymore!

About 5, it started to rain. 
So we headed back to the car and back on the road.
Drove up into a couple neighborhoods.  Never seen a "speed table" sign before!
Back "home".
The rains continued throughout the night.  Lots of places did flood, but I don't think Kihei was hit hard this time.  The Hana area was supposedly getting 3" per hour.  We heard places in Kuhului flooded.  There was even snow on Haleakala.

For a day that was suppose to be rainy, it wasn't bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...