Saturday, February 17, 2018

2018-2-17  Snorkel Honolua!  and Kapalua.  Dinner in Lahaina.

The surf report showed that most of the beaches South and West were pretty flat, so I decided to see if the water would be clear enough for snorkeling---and if we could beat the predicted rains.  South beaches didn't get as high a snorkel rating today as West beaches via thesnorkelstore.com, so I suggested we head West and check out Kapalua.  If it didn't look good, we could go check out the surfers by Honolua and beyond.  So after a delicious cooked breakfast courtesy of Ken, we loaded up all our junk and took off.
First stop, the post office to mail some more post cards.  When we were leaving the post office, we admired this guy's Hog.   Certainly wasn't anything like the Honda we use to ride 43 years ago!
 Then we cut across to the highway.  On our way, we passed the Kihei food truck park.  While I think it's a good idea, I sure think they could make it look more appealing!


Checking on my horses as we head up the West mountain.
 Looks like a lot of people were enjoying MM14!
 Another of the areas of the road along the West side that I really like.  Reminds me of the tree tunnel on Kauai.
 We've started taking the Lahaina bypass frequently.  Love the views along that route.  Sure wouldn't mind having this house.
 The bypass.
 from the bypass heading back to the highway
 another view from the bypass
 you can tell you're in Kapalua when you see all these trees.
 There certainly are a bunch of golf courses on Maui.  I'm not a golfer, but if I were, it would have been a great day to be golfing---if I could see paying that much money to do it!
 I always really enjoyed taking golf pictures at golf courses when I was a sports photographer.  They're always so beautifully landscaped.  I even took wedding pictures on a golf course once.
The parking lot at Kapalua Bay was full.  Ken dropped me off and I walked down to see if it was snorkelable today.  To my surprise, it was calm and very clear---just like the weather!  It sure doesn't take long for the muck to clear in the ocean.  We drove around the lot a few times, hoping to catch someone leaving.  Even checked the road, but it was full.  Everyone was here enjoying the pretty day!  We even drove up to the tennis court parking lot and was going to pay the $10, then decided to head down the road first and check on the surfers.  I figured people would start clearing out of Kapalua by 3ish.  It was about 1 then. 
 When I saw Honolua, I was awed by the calmness and clarity of it, too.  No surfers, it was too calm. 
 There was a parking spot in the big parking lot by the port a potties, so we stopped.  Then walked down the trail.  The only other time we walked down to the bay, we were on the other side of the creek, so we had to walk through the water before we got to the beach---soaking our shoes. 
 This trail was on the other side of the creek, so no water forging.  It was a really beautiful walk.  There are even a couple benches along the way for none snorkelers who just want to take the jungle-like walk.
 I noticed the sandy area to the far left and thought it would be easier to get in and out there.  It was, but the water was also really brown close to shore there. 
 I quickly swam to the right side and it was clear there.  First fishes to greet me was a large barracuda.  May not look too big here, but it swam away before I got too close and I didn't chase him down like I often do when I see an interesting fish.
 This guy is more like it---the endemic pebbled butterflyfish.  I did follow him for awhile.
 I also love all the colorful coral here.
 There aren't too many other places around Maui where there are so many different kinds and colors of coral growing next to each other.
 the endemic saddle wrasse
 ornate butterflyfish
 male bird wrasse
 lots of coral
even green coral
 blue goatfish
 oval butterflyfish
 moorish idol
 blue stripe snappers.
 Looking back towards the "beach".  I wanted to snorkel farther up the coast, but all the other snorkelers out there had disappeared.  Even the boats had left.  Ken wasn't snorkeling, so I wanted to stay somewhat close to other snorkelers, so I worked my way back towards the entrance.
 I know there are some incredibly big coral heads farther down, but I was just excited to be here at all.
 pink tail triggerfish
 Of course as soon as I started back in, some snorkelers went out.  I thought of working my way back out there, then decided against it.
 There were a lot more snorkelers closer to the beach
 even though there weren't as many fish closer in, there was a lot of pretty coral.

 Closer to the shore it was also getting murky.  I got about to the concrete ramp where most people were getting in when I saw these guys.  I haven't seen them in a few years.  I've seen them at Maluaka years ago and here the first time we snorkeled here.  I had forgotten about them so was tickled to see them again---Bandtail Goatfish---and I would have definitely followed them around if they moved away.  But they didn't.  Couldn't get too clear of a picture, though, since the water was getting murky.
 Was a little scary going the last 100 yards or so to the sandy area---couldn't see a thing.  But it sure was easier getting in and out there!
 Then came the walk back to the car through the jungle like foliage. 
 They did have this sign up along the way---a rather funny sign---with a serious warning.
 These are some of the trees on the other side of the creek.
 back to the trail on my side of the creek.
 even the chickens like the trail
 I wouldn't mind just going here for the walk!

 not much of a creek today.
 even saw a few fungi along the way
 I was really surprised how level and wide the trail is. 
 From there we headed over to Kapalua Bay.  Got there right about 3 and had a choice of parking spots.

We usually go to the right side of the bay to snorkel.  This time I decided to check out the left side first for a change.
 Then I headed over to the right side
 The left side happened to be teeming with turtles today!  Saw at least 5 different ones.  They hung around in the surf to the left of the bay.
 Then this guy popped in to say hi.  He was huge.
 a not-too-common guy for Maui---Rockmover Wrasse.
 square tail filefish
 the Hawaiian state fish---Reef triggerfish or humuhumunukunukuapua'a
 saddle wrasse
just like around the large coral head in the middle of the bay,  there are a bunch of soldierfish out by the point to the left, too.
 longnose butterflyfish
 belted wrasse---not an easy guy to photograph--they like to dart all over the place.
 wonder if these guys think they're the same fish because they're both blue?
 school of mullets
 I was trying to take a picture of another fish when this guy rudely got in my way!  ---a very large male Cigar Wrasse
 don't remember seeing a school of black triggerfish here before.
 finally!!!  A Sailfin Tang with it's fins extended.  I've been following them around a bunch this year waiting for this moment!
 he even posed for more then 1 photo.
 very large black side hawkfish
 teardrop butterflyfish and bird wrasse
 orange spine surgeonfish
 Sailfin Tang the way he usually looks.
 moorish idol
 endemic blue stripe butterflyfish
 after another couple hours of snorkeling, I finally decided to get out.
 It had really clouded up in the last couple of hours.  But it was still warm and not raining.
 walking back towards the parking lot.
Since it was 5 pm now, we headed into Lahaina for dinner.  Love this view as we're heading into town.
 Another place we've enjoyed from time to time---Bubba Gump.
 and another---NaHoku!  I've enjoyed them most trips!  But this year, I got 2 art pieces and new eye glasses!
 We tried to park in the free lot at the S. end of town, but it was full.  But we managed to get a spot right here by the ruins of the old fort.
 heading through the big Banyan Tree.
 beautiful place to hang out.
hope these branches are healthy.
 We really enjoy Cool Cats, so went there again.  This was the view from our table.  Nice view of the historic Pioneer Inn.
 Love their mango vinaigrette dressing.  And the free root beer float.
 now that's what I want---a VW van with surf boards on it!
 With sunset at about 6:25 now, I had time to run down to the marina and see if there was one.  Not the greatest, but kept me entertained for awhile!
 the sunset even made the rain in the distance look red.
 the sky to the north was a pretty pink

Just the kind of day I love!  Hope the storms they're predicting hold off 5 or 6 more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...