Saturday, February 10, 2018

2018-2-10  Snorkel Ahihi, walk new development by Maluaka Beach:


Ken crawled out of bed about 9am today.  He seems to be feeling better.  Not 100%, but not worse.  I suggested we head to Ahihi and he can sit in the sun and rest while I snorkel the cove.  Figure there would be lots of people there.
On our way there, I saw this guy setting up something.  I thought it was a hammock, but looking at it here it looks like something else---but what?  And why so high?!
We parked at the nice now paved parking lot just past Ahihi Cove and walked to the cove.  On our way, I marveled at more flowers.  Like these weird ones.
and these interesting ones.
I've seen these near The Dumps before.  They close up in the afternoon. 
There were a lot of little white and yellow butterflies (sulfurs?).
There's now a gravel path down to the cove, too.
the cove---doesn't look like much, but it's plenty big when you're in it and there are tons of fish!
Ken settled on to the rocks on the North end and I headed in.  first fishes were these mullets.
this parrotfish looks like it's had a tough life.
some of the terrain and fish
a juvenile coris.
2 barred filefish
another large parrotfish
And another very large parrotfish.
long nose butterflyfish
school of convicts
convict tangs, that is.
a very large peacock grouper.
white spine surgeonfish?
white bar surgeonfish
another juvenile fish that doesn't look anything like the adult.  I believe this is a juvenile saddle wrasse.
Ornate butterflyfish
red lip parrotfish
4 spot butterflyfish
close up of a coronet fish's head.
school of Hawaiian Flagtails?
looking towards the "beach"
looking towards the road
blackspot sergeant
school of yellowfin goatfish
ambon toby
I was right over this guy before I saw him.  Glad they aren't aggressive!
bird wrasse
don't see many of these guys, either---lined butterflyfish
After about 1 hour and 15 minutes, I got out and we sat on the rocks for another half hour or so.  When I got to the car I noticed the inside of my underwater camera's lens was fogged.  Hope it's not on it's way out!  
Back to the DSLR.  Love these no sight distances and about 1 1/2 lanes.  You literally can't see where the road is when you're reaching the top of the hill.  Thus you can't see if there's a car coming at you.
on the north end of Wailea is this subdivision Wailea Palms, I think.  For some reason that I can't really put a finger on,  I love the design of them from the  outside.  Also love the tree with the yellow flowers!
Heading North on Kihei Rd. 
We decided to go to the new Coconuts for a late lunch/early dinner.  First time I had their fish tacos at the one next to Peggy Sue's years ago, I really liked them.  This time I thought they were just OK.  Service was great and Ken liked his fish and chips.  They do seem to be more expensive than I remembered, though---about $15 for 2 tacos!  Guess they have to pay for the nice big space they have now.  They have the whole north end on level two shown here.
The tacos were huge.  One would have been plenty.
I never knew what an Ono looked like.  Now I know.
nice ambience.  Love the tables which are made to look like surf boards.
Then we drove by the Kamaole beaches and stopped at Kamaole 1 to see if anyone found my glasses and turned them in.  He asked for a description and went to check.  He said that happens a lot.  But they weren't there.  I figure if they're found now, they would be unusable anyway.  I'm sure the sand has scratched them to bits..
The water sure has calmed down!
Then we drove to Maluaka looking for a place for sunset.
I noticed a new pathway along the ocean behind the new construction that's going on.  Looks like the new place is going to be very fancy!  They even have a few golf holes along the beach!
I decided to walk the path and see where it goes.  The sign says it goes to a clubhouse.  
Looks like the clubhouse isn't done yet.
But the landscaping is pretty already!

Decided this wasn't a great place for sunset since you can't see the sun from the park.  So we continued on---but first got to see this cute colorful lizard.
Ended up by Makena Landing.  Not a bad place for sunset!
Again we didn't have much of a sunset, though.
not bad zoomed in, though!
Another great day on Maui! Not missing the cold back home at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...