Thursday, February 15, 2018

2018-2-15 another rainy day!  Time to shop the Shops of Wailea.


We slept in today!  Really on HST now!  Didn't get up until about 10:30!  But it was raining, so there was no hurry to get going.  I looked out our back door to see the drainage ditch pretty full again.  Not as full as a week ago Monday, but still flowing pretty good.  Not quite the view I'd hoped we'd have when I made our reservations 13.5 months ago, but it is pretty private.  At least the location of the building is pretty convenient to the ocean and the pool, so I won't complain too much about the view.
About 12:30 we decided to head out and get some breakfast/lunch.  So we headed to Round Table pizza again.  Had another coupon---which is needed there since they are so expensive.    This time we got the Ulti-Meat pizza instead of the Montague.  Brought half of it home.
 Driving back along Kihei Rd.---flooded again.



 I've always been curious about the Shops at Wailea Mall.  So figured this was a good time to check them out.  Ken dropped me off there.  Good way to spend a somewhat rainy day.  It certainly is an interesting mall---high end stores like Prada, Tiffany's, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and a few others.  Then there are the touristy stores like ABC, Whaler's General Store, and Island Market.  There were also galleries and restaurants, as well as the usual mall jewelry and clothing stores.  It is a good size mall.
Artwork at the entrance to the mall
 one of the restaurants.
 It is an outdoor mall, but most of the stores had overhangs so it was easy to get out of the rain.
I texted my daughter a picture of Tiffany's and asked if she needed anything---to which she responded, "Everything!"
 in the window of Tiffany's. 
 I didn't bother going into the high end stores.  No sense being tempted!


 I didn't know it beforehand but it's a 2 story mall
 I did a lap around the upper level first (that's the level I came in on). 
 I did walk through a few stores, like the ABC, Island Market, Whalers, Tommy Bahama, and a couple galleries.  I really liked the lights in this ABC store.  They reminded me of surf boards.
 Can't say I've ever seen anything like this before!
 It was even simply, but nicely landscaped.

 There were escalators, but they weren't working on the end I came in on.
 one of the art galleries. 
Tasini Tiki Gallery  
"Taani Tasini Lavaka was born and raised in the Island Kingdom of Tonga where traditional carving with wood and bone is an important part of the culture. Lavaka has been honing his skill since the age of six.
He started carving functional pieces like canoes for fishing, tools, and weapons for farming and hunting. Today as a master carver, most of his work is commissioned.  He has designed and carved across a very broad range of subjects from the traditional to the modern, from relief and ornamental carving to lettering and sculpture. Tasini Tiki Gallery showcases a wide range of wood sculptures."
 steps at the middle of the mall.
 looking towards the end of the mall.

 looking towards the beginning of the mall
 an alcove at the back of the mall.
 looking from the back of the mall towards the front.
 I love Tommy Bahama furniture, so I figured I'd check out this place. 
 If only I was the size I was 45 years ago!  I love this rash guard!
 I never knew Tommy Bahama had a clothing store.
 At the far end is even a Tommy Bahama bar!
 Continuing on around
 looking over towards the side I came down first.
 Another gallery

 another store I stayed out of.
 Then I went down the steps to the lower level.
 then I walked around this level

 this guy was showing kids how to make something with palm reeds.  Looked interesting.
 An interesting looking tap room---Cheese Burger.
 When I'd finished my walk around the mall, I called Ken and he came and picked me up.  There is free parking for the first hour, but I didn't know if you needed to validate the ticket, so he picked me up outside the parking lot. Then we headed down the road to check out the ocean.  I'd seen the signs for Ulua and know we've been there in the past, but couldn't remember what it looked like.  So we drove down that way and I walked down to check it out. 
 Still didn't look familiar, but does look like a great place to snorkel!  Hopefully I'll get the chance to before we had back to Atlanta next week.
 Definitely no snorkeling today!
 We also rode down to Makena Landing.  It was so calm earlier in the week, but not today.

 About 5:30 I walked down to Kam 1 across from our condo complex just in case there was a sunset tonight. 
 There was a little break at the horizon.  So I took a walk North for quite a ways.
 took a ton of pictures along the way.
 The sunset was actually turning into a very impressive one.
 I kept looking for the perfect viewpoint.

 found another couple having a photo shoot.
 Wonder what happened to the other boat that was oared off Kam 1?
 For as cloudy as it was, there really was quite a bit of color. 
 And it didn't rain!
 I love how the Kam beaches are lined with trees.  Great for taking sunset photos.
 I guess everyone was happy to get out now that the rain had stopped.  There were a lot of people watching the sun set.
 Yep---I went a little crazy.  Had to make up for the last few days when there was no sunset.
 This is one of my favorite things to do ---- watch a great sunset!
 slightly to the N.

 even the people in the ocean were watching the sunset.
 the sun has set, but the color goes on.
Back at the condo, we debated on going out to dinner, but neither of us were really excited about the idea.  So we decided to eat leftovers.  With left over chili, short ribs, and pizza, we had plenty to choose from--except for the good stuff like salad.

Not the most exciting of days.   But the sunset redeemed it.  Still beats being in the cold Midwest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...