Wednesday, February 21, 2018

2018-2-21 Time to check out the pawn shops!

Woke up wanting to hit the beach again.  Thesnorkelstore.com gave South beaches another 8.  But I also wanted to do whatever I could to try and get my ring back.  So----off to a bunch of pawn shops!
First one was the pawn shop in Kihei.  Another 1st for me!  First time being in a pawn shop!  Rather interesting experience.  Lots of cool stuff in there!  Bet my nephew would love these paintings!
We immediately went to one of the employees and explained our plight.  He was very helpful and nice.  We learned the procedures for reporting a stolen item to them.  Nice to know that they are connected to the police site, too, so when they get stuff the police can check to see if it's there.  He had me email the picture and police report to their other 2 offices, too.  Then, of course, I looked around.
Boy, they have a lot of really nice stuff!  This was a fraction of the diamond rings.



Some of their other stuff.  Quite a variety.
Even some really nice NaHoku stuff! 
and a ton of ukuleles
Even Tiffany's
Took a fancy to this ring---a PWJ 14K anniversary ring.  Not my wedding ring, but I've always wanted an anniversary ring.  So we bartered with the guy and I think we got a good deal at $350.  May get it appraised just to see if it is.
Then we headed to Market St. in Wailuku.  Should be called pawn shop alley!  But there were a couple other quirky shops.  Like this one selling Trump Twilight Zone items.
Ken about to enter the 3rd or 4th pawn shop on Market street.  Everyone was really nice and sympathetic, but hadn't seen the ring.  Emailed them all a picture of the ring and they made their own internal messages.
looking down the street
Another quirky little art store.  I love this style of painting!
There's also a really cool theatre among the shops
Reminded me of the old movie theater I use to go to as a kid---wonder if it has a balcony, too?
It was an interesting afternoon!  And not a total waste of time.  But hopefully I won't have to do that again---at least not to try and find a missing item.  May be back to do some more shopping!
From there we came back to the condo and started packing.  But I did stop about 5:30 and headed to the beach---just in case the sun made an appearance today.
Love these flowers lining the walkway
Looked like the sun was trying to peek out.
Then I saw this and had to go check it out.  The creator had already left.
Now that's a sand castle!!!!!
Someone else there said the creator had kids make the trees for him.  Bet that would have been neat to see!
They also said the creator was on vacation and does this for Sandal Resorts somewhere. 
He knew where to build it so the water would come into the river bed. 
The bridge was already starting to get washed away by the time I got here.
Then I walked to the S. end of Kam 1 to sit and watch the sunset.  Met an interesting young couple and chatted with them for quite awhile.
The sky started to clear a bit and I started to wonder if we'd get a pretty sunset
It even peeked out for a little while
and we did get a really pretty sunset!


looking north
It lasted for a good 35-40 minutes!


Didn't get to snorkel today, but still got to see an eel!  That must be good luck, isn't it?  The waves did come and wash him back out, so not to worry about this little guy.


Checking on the castle on my way back to the condo.  The waves were knocking it down.
Now it was 7:30.  Time for dinner.  Since we enjoyed Fat Daddy's so much last night, we decided to go there again for our last dinner on Maui 2018.
Ken elected to forego any sides and just have the meat---hot links. 
Oops I'm missing my dinner photo.  I had the meatloaf---excellent---along with more brussel sprouts, green beans and corn bread.  All excellent!!!  Can't wait to go back!
As we were leaving, this place caught Ken's eye, but I wouldn't let him go in.
Looked like a few interesting restaurants here.
especially this Irish place.
One last photo of the restaurant.
So true!

 Last full day here!  Hard to believe how fast the last 28 days flew by!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome home. Glad you found the ring! And sad you had to come home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! At least I know how to leave Maui happy now!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog via Trip Advisor (a post you had made there linking to it) back in January. I have enjoyed reading about your adventures (we are going in July)... glad you found your ring and sorry Ken was sick for a part of the trip.

    ReplyDelete

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...