Sunday, February 11, 2018

2018-2-11  Snorkeling Olowalu (MM14) and a sunset walk at Kam 1


Ken said he was up to doing some snorkeling today, so we headed to MM14.  Figured it would be an easy place for him to get in and out of and should be calm.
So in late morning we headed north.  Some places Maui is actually beginning to look crowded!
But there are still a lot of nature along the roads---like Kealia Wetlands.
and the mountains!
Not so natural, but still interesting are the windmills that look like they're growing on the spine of the mountain.
Nice to see the horses are still here, too.  I always look for them as we pass.  In the past, there were times it looked like there was nothing for them to graze on.  But there seems to be lots of greenery this year.
another picture of the windmills
I always love riding up along the side of the West mountains. 
Sort of reminds me of Big Sur
From time to time we stop at the overlook and look for whales.
love the views of the water as we come around the cliff.
I believe this is part of the campground.  I'm not much of a camper, but at a campground like this, I might be persuaded to camp.
Love the views of the West mountains, too.
 Traffic moved well today and we were at MM14 rather quickly.  Lots of families out enjoying the ocean today.
Didn't take long for us to head on in.
The water was super calm today!!!!
Hard to believe this is an ocean!
This guy swam under me almost immediately.  It is the largest flounder I've ever seen.
Looking back towards the beach
Love the reflections.
cute little Ambon tobies. 
Some of the coral formations.

Ken joining me.
an idea of how large this coral is.  Many areas the coral is quite a bit larger!
even out here it is shallow.
An idea how shallow it is so far out
an Oval Butterfly fish.
Gold Ring surgeonfish
convict tangs
more of the vast coral formations at MM14
Love how the sandy areas shows up as a light green.
Another largest one of this species that I've seen---a huge porcupine puffer.
black triggerfish
another Gold Ring surgeonfish
some different kinds of coral
I'm a little surprised that there aren't more fish out here with all this coral.
male bullethead parrot fish
raccoon butterflyfish
a Keferstein's sea cucumber?  First one of them I've seen around Maui.  I've seen a few around Kauai waters.
threadfin butterflyfish
We were amused by the family next to us on shore.  The little girl loved splashing around in a large storage container with water in it.  They also made a little slide out of the boogie board with water thrown on it.  Pretty ingenious on both accounts.
I went back out for a second snorkel while Ken warmed up on shore.  Apparently he's not feeling as well as he thought.
first one of these guys I've seen so far this trip---cushion starfish
one of the schools of fish
more of the amazing coral formations.
Ornate Butterflyfish
black triggerfish
another school of fish
the Reef Triggerfish
young surge wrasse?
white spotted toby
the White Spotted Toby's cousin---Ambon Toby
Looking out to sea
heading back to the beach again
mesmerized by the reflections in the water.
 Back on shore, again, I dragged out my DSLR Canon 60D to take a bunch more pictures.
MOre of the reflections as viewed from shore.
 playing with a small aperture to get the stars in the highlights.
blue sky reflected on the water.
Too bad this wasn't around when I was young.  Looks like fun.  Now I'd probably hurt myself!
Did I mention how gorgeous it is here?!
Even these guys were enjoying the area
Eventually I felt sorry enough for Ken that I agreed to leave.
This was near the high overlook---the ocean was so calm that the reflections of the clouds could be seen in the ocean!
more views from the pass while heading South

Almost to Maalaea marina
Back in Kihei, I checked my social media.   Someone on Tripadvisor mentioned that a pair of prescription glasses were found and turned into the lifeguard at Kam 1 today, so I wandered over to see if they were mine.  But, alas, the lifeguards were gone already---at 4:30!  ( Turns out they're sunglasses, so I know they aren't mine. )
 Quite a difference a couple days make!!!!  This was the mean ocean that stole my glasses.
One more picture of Kam 1
Ken didn't feel like heading out for sunset, so I took off for a walk along Kam 1 - Kam 2. 
Another not too colorful sunset, but it was a really pleasant evening and still pretty.
Kam 2


almost set.
I found some accommodations between the beaches that had a stairwell in the back, so I decided to check out the view from the second floor landing.
When the sun set, a group of people staying at the accommodations got out their conch shells and blew them in all 4 directions.  I'm hearing this more and more this year. 
Just a couple more pictures from Kam 1 as I made my way back to the Worldmark.

Not sure who owns those boats, but they always seem to be there.
Late dinner tonight (for us).  We decided to stay close and headed next door to Kameole Cafe at the Maui Coast resort again.  Dinner was excellent again! I wouldn't mind going back there yet again before we go home.  There was another performer tonight.  Don't know his name, but he was very good, too. After dinner, I walked to the ABC store and bought more post cards.  now to actually write some.

This was about as perfect a day as I could hope for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...