Monday, February 5, 2018

2018-2-5  new glasses and a gloomy goodbye to Don and Becky:


After wearing my contacts so long yesterday and getting irritated eyes,  I decided to see if I could get glasses made while we're still here.  First I had to see if my ophthalmologist would authorize a prescription that was 1 1/2 years old.  Then I had to find somewhere on Maui to have glasses made fairly quickly.  Turns out there's a LensCrafters in Kahului and they even do 1 hour glasses with a 30 day money back guarantee.   My Dr. authorized the prescription, so we headed to LensCrafters.  I highly recommend them.  Very friendly professionals and very competent.   Only downside was they didn't have high index lenses in my prescription, only plastic---coke bottle size lenses with that prescription.  But they assure me I can upgrade later or get a refund if I don't like them.  Then they came up with the idea that I get the plastic ones now and order the high index ones which will take about 10 days.  Then I can return the plastic ones.  So I ordered them---both.  I was even surprised they weren't any more expensive then the ones I get on the mainland.   I'm sure going to LensCrafters on their last day here was just what Don and Becky wanted to do, but they were good sports about it!

On the way back to Kihei, we thought we'd stop at the high overlook to watch for whales.  Just barely got there when the skies opened up and it poured the rest of the day.  Kihei got about 2-4 inches of rain throughout the day!---the Sunny South side!!!
 Kihei Rd. flooded.

I've read that the South side gets an average of 11" of rain a year.  I think we got 2-4 today!

it rained HARD and all day long!
 even the downspouts by our condo were gushing.  The drainage ditch behind our condo got about 3 feet of water in it.
 It lightened up a bit near sunset, so we walked over to Kam 1.  No sunset, just more rain.
 bet the spider lilies enjoyed the rain.
and the aloe plants
one last look at the ocean for the Fischers.
Since they had a red eye flight, we went out to dinner.  This time we went to Moose McGillycuddy's.  Service was a bit slow, but the server was friendly.  My salad was good, but had way too much dressing on it.  I forgot to ask for the dressing on the side.  Everyone else liked their dinners.
I didn't notice until after dinner that LensCrafters had texted that my glasses were ready about an hour after we left there.  So we left for the airport a bit early for their 11:15 pm flight so I could get my glasses before they closed at 9.  Dropped Don and Becky off at the airport and headed to LensCrafter's.  Much to my surprise, I actually see better with the plastic glasses than I did with the ones the ocean claimed!  Not sure I'll be returning them.  The thickness isn't even as bad as I expected.  Maybe I'll return the other ones!
We were sad to see the Fisher's leave, but were really glad they made the time and effort to come spend their vacation time with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...