Sunday, February 4, 2018

2018-2-4  Half of the Road to Hana and glasses in the ocean:


The surf was really kicking today!  No snorkeling again!  We thought about going to the Aquarium, but decided to do something more unique to Maui.  So we headed to the Road to Hana and check out some of it.
Plus we got to see another historic little Maui town---Paia.
 Love these historic little towns.
 lots of unique artworks in them---although you can't always tell what's just art and what's functional.

impressive churches, too.
 We stopped at Ho'okipa Beach park to watch some surfers. 

 and check out more wild flowers.
 Then we continued on to the Road to Hana.
 One of the rivers as we drove over one of the many historic bridges.
 We stopped a few times to get a closer look at things.
 We didn't have a guide book with us, so really didn't know what was coming up.  But we enjoyed being surprised.
From previous trips along here I remembered there was a stand of rainbow eucalyptus.  Caught a couple pictures of them as we went by.
 Love the lushness of the foliage along the Road to Hana.
 especially the stands of bamboo that look like a fur coat on the mountain.
 also love seeing all the wild flowers.
 as well as the historic old bridges.
 and of course, the waterfalls!
 Don getting a higher view.
Wonder what these little pink puffs are!  I have seen similar puffs of white before, but this is the first time I've seen them in pink.
 another creek.
 some of the hundreds of curves.
 lots of jungle like foliage
 and tropical flora.
 A little past the half way mark we decided to have a picnic, then turn back. 
 While we were eating, we overheard someone talking about another waterfall about a mile down the road.  So we decided to check it out before heading back.  Glad we did.
 another of the cool historic bridges.
 it was a little concerning when we came upon parts of the road that had fallen away.
 back to looking for streams and waterfalls.
We made if back in time to watch the last quarter of the Super Bowl.  We were all happy to see the Eagles beat the Patriots.  Especially after what the Patriots did to my Falcons last year!

After the game was over, we walked over to Kamaole 1 to see if there would be a sunset.  It was still totally cloudy and the surf was still pounding.  We played in the water anyway.  Since I wasn't snorkeling, I was wearing my glasses---high index, progressives  (about $550 worth of glasses).  Got hit by a rogue wave and was pummeled in the surf.  Wasn't hurt, but the ocean claimed my glasses.  With eyesight of  -10, that was rather inconvenient!  I did discover, though, that if I had my underwater camera turned on, I could hold the screen to my face and see everything really well.  I usually carry a spare pair of glasses on vacation with me, but for some strange reason, I couldn't find them (until I was packing to head back home)!  Good thing I brought contacts---which I don't wear all the time because I have to wear reading glasses over them for anything close. 

For dinner,  we decided to go to Round Table pizza.  Even had a game day coupon for $5 off. Wish we had Round Table Pizza in the Midwest.
Another round of  Mexican Train Dominoes, then off to bed.

 Another great day, except for stupidly going into the surf with my glasses on!!!!  Lesson learned---the hard way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...