Thursday, February 8, 2018

2018-2-8  Snorkel Kapalua and Olowalu (MM14)

Finally!!!!  It seemed like conditions would be good for snorkeling again.  We've only been able to snorkel once in about 9 days and that day was the start of rising surf.  So I was excited to have plans to go snorkeling again.  Last night at the hot tub, someone had mentioned that Kapalua was great yesterday.  Dang---missed a day of snorkeling!  Anyway, we decided to head North, again, and let the South side brown waters settle down another day.
But first---I suggested we book another whale watching tour--- for Valentine's day.  After all, we hadn't spent enough money on me yet!---2 pairs of prescription glasses and 2 pieces of artwork.  We also wanted to try Trilogy since we've heard so many good things about it.  So I booked it!  Hopefully I won't get drenched this time!  And hopefully it won't be rainy like the forecast is predicting.
Then we were off.
We weren't the only ones anxious to get back in the water.  The surfing school on North Kihei Rd was busy.
Looks like school was in session.
We also decided to take our two bags of soda cans to the redemption center.  Got a whole $1.90!  The customers in front of us got about $230! 
I was a little concerned when I saw all the clouds on the West Mountains.
But it's a nice ride, so we continued on.

Here's another place I plan to get to while we're here.  I love searching for birds in wetlands.
There was still some flooding from the rains a couple days ago.
We even took the Lahaina bypass. 
Certainly has nice views along that route.
both directions.
more views along the bypass

Eventually we got to Kapalua.  We tried to find parking and a path to Nipili bay first, since we've never snorkeled there before, but didn't have an luck.  So ended up back at Kapalua---right as it started to rain.  Good thing about that is people were leaving in groves.  So we were able to park in the free lot.  Then we sat in the car and waited out the rain.  Didn't take long before blue skies appeared again.
one of our visitors on the beach.
The water was very clear---much clearer then when we took Don there to snorkel for the first time.  These guys were about a foot from shore.
this parrotfish wasn't much farther away.
Peacock Grouper.
a Blue Trevally hanging out with another parrotfish.
black triggerfish
wide angle of the tons of beautiful coral.  The picture doesn't do it justice.
more of the coral
and more
sail fin  tangs
shallower corals---more color visible in shallower water.
a patriotic saddle wrasse.
a lei triggerfish
pink tail triggerfish with bright yellow side fin.
a tiny Hawaiian white spotted toby
ornate wrasse---don't see these guys too often.
or these guys---Sail fin tangs.
blue goatfish
long nose butterflyfish
more coral heads
sea turtle
sea turtle getting cleaned
For the first time ever, I swam towards the middle of the  bay to one of the large coral heads out there.  I was surprised to see these guys all around the large coral head---had to have been at least 100 soldier fish.
another pink tail triggerfish---with a muted side fin
unicorn surgeon fish
male white spot boxfish
After about 2 hours, we were chilled enough to get out. 
Sat and gazed out at the ocean and critters around us on land for awhile,
then changed into dry clothes and headed to Lahaina for dinner.  Decided to give Captain Jacks a try.  Even got there for happy hour---got a Big Swell IPA for $5 and got Ono and chips for $10.  Both were great---as was the live music.
I love all the open air restaurants in Hawaii.
I suggested we go to MM14 for sunset since it was along our way back to Kihei.  Got the gorgeous views of the mountains again.
I always get a kick out of this sign!  It should say, "It's an ocean!  Sharks are present!"
It was another beautiful evening and the water was so calm!
It was only about 5:30.  I couldn't last the whole hour without getting in!  Since I wear a rash guard and board shorts over my swimsuit, I decided to put my shorts and rash guard back on and hit the water.
There were only a couple other people out there, so I didn't go far. When I snorkel by myself, I like to mingle with the crowds.
 It was very shallow for quite a ways out.
 there weren't a lot of fish where I was snorkeling, but enough to keep me entertained.  I hope to get back one of these days and snorkel the great coral heads farther out.

 Even being out this far it was only about knee deep.
sergeant major and a convict tang
 urchin
 This guy was a pleasant surprise---a zebra eel.  I've seen pieces of one before, but this is the first time I've seen the head of one.
 another little Hawaiian white spotted toby
 love the late afternoon warm lighting.
Got out about 6 and waited for sunset.  I also like that there are a ton of trees around here for shade and hanging things on.
a little bit of color off to the South.
The sky was pretty clear tonight.

was hoping to see the green flash, but the light clouds on the horizon prevented that.
a different type of leaf here then at the landscaped resorts.
Felt so good to get back in the ocean---and not loose anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...