Monday, June 4, 2012

2012-6-4 time to go home:

The next morning, June 4th, we had to get up and get out.  I don't know what was going on that day, but the airport security line was extemely long.  Good thing we were there 2 hours early!  There were quite a few people who were fretting whether or not they would make their planes.  The smart ones cut to the front.  But our flight was uneventfull and scenic.  Here is the North East side of Maui shortly after take off.
I believe this was part of Molokai, but I'm not positive.  Looks like more great snorkeling!
 And we're back at Honolulu.
 A final good bye to Hanauma Bay---one of the first places I snorkeled and would love to go back to again.  Although last time I was there it had become pretty commercialized with a required film on reefs as well as an entrance fee.  They even regulate how many people they let in there now.  All of this is good since I've seen numerous people destroy coral over the years with their careless kicking and standing on it, but it still takes away from the excitement for an experienced snorkeler.  Hopefully Hanauma Bay will return to the ourstanding beach I remember it to be on my first Hawaii trip back in 1999.
It isn't often (maybe ever), that I've left Hawaii during the daytime.  It was rather nice.  But we got into PDX about 11 pm and my flight to STL wasn't until 10:35 am the next morning.  So I used Hotwire and got a great rate on a room at the Clarion for the night (something like $58).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...