Sunday, June 3, 2012

2012-6-3 Maluaka beach and sunset cruise:


Our days passed by too quickly.  We were finally on our last full day here.  I was up pretty early again, so I decided to take a walk instead of sitting on the lanai.  I decided to check out the path that leads down to Kihei road from Maui Hill and then over to the small marina in Kihei---enjoying more flowers on the Maui Hill property.





Once I reached the marina I was surprised to find a walking path along the ocean.  I went towards the little marina and found this neat little swimming area by the marina.


I continued south along the path.

I came up on the Kihei Surfside.  It looked like a great place to go for sunset---perhaps next Feb., since this trip we took a sunset cruise on our last night.

By the time I got back from my walk, Carolyn was up.  We decided to hit another beach.  So we headed south again.  This time to Maluaka Beach by the Maui Prince Hotel.  The snorkel book mentioned this was another good beginner snorkeling area with excellent snorkeling.  There was also a fair amount of parking, although there was a bit of a walk getting to the beach from the parking lot.
It was another beautiful beach!  We found a shady spot to the far left and set up our beach chairs.  Then Carolyn surprised me by saying she was getting in the water.
She elected not to try snorkeling, but there was plenty of sandy ocean floor along this beach.  So we bounced in the waves for quite some time.  She even claimed to have a really good time and couldn't believe she hadn't gotten into the water sooner.  I couldn't believe it either!   
When she's had enough of the water, I headed out to check out the snorkeling here.
I thought this was a triggerfish, but my fish index shows it to be a Barred Filefish.  

 
 I believe this is a Bullethead Parrotfish.  I've seen juvenile ones at Anini on Kauai, but this is the first time I've seen an adult one.
 Another first for me were the Oval Butterflyfish.
 I also found a couple of these large Spotted Pufferfish.  I've seen them before, but never so puffed out.
 I spotted this unusual Zebra Moray Eel a little too late to get the whole thing.  I waited hoping it would continue it's foraging, but it remained hidden in the coral.
 And another triggerfish!  This is the kind I saw on the Big Island over 10 years ago and hadn't seen another one in my 14 Hawaii vacations since then until this Feb. on Kauai.  Now I know they're on Maui, too.  My book says this is a Lagoon Triggerfish. 


 I was really surprised at how great the snorkeling was here!  It doesn't look like there's much of a reef from the shore, but to the right of this picture is a reef that goes out to sea and is very extensive and healthy.  If I weren't out there by myself I would have stayed there a lot longer! 
In fact, I believe this is the beach we were anchored off of when I went on the Molokini/Turtle town snorkel excursion.  I think this is the catamaran that was next to us that kept going into shore (to the Maui Prince Hotel?) and picking up passengers to take out to the location in the photo (Turtle Town?).
By 3 we decided we needed to get going so we could clean up and get ready for our sunset cruise.  I had won a free sunset cruise at the island orientation earlier in the week.  We didn't do the dinner part of the cruise, just the appetizers and drinks.  So by 5pm we were on our way from the condo to the Marina.
Sunset wasn't fabulous, again a lack of clouds other then at the horizon, but we still enjoyed the cruise.
Right after the sunset, I happened to look inland and noticed the full moon rising over Haleakala.  I actually found that more fascinating then the sunset.  Even the captain announced that it is an unusual occurance to see this so well.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...