Friday, June 1, 2012

2012-6-1  Ulua beach and Lahaina:


Today it was time to hit the beach again.  This time we stayed south and went to Ulua Beach.  It was also listed as good for beginners.  Again Carolyn stayed on shore and read her book.  But that's ok, I had a great time snorkeling.  I didn't find the snorkeling as good as Kapalua, but it was still enjoyable.
I was expecting to see the long nosed butterfly fish in Maui and I finally did.  I've never seen one of these guys around Kauai.  The snorkel area here didn't seem as large as other places we went to, but the beach was certainly nice and there was plenty of shade and plenty of parking.
Here's the shady area my sister parked herself under while I snorkeled the rocky area to the left.
More of the rocky area by the beach.  Could be a little tricky for a beginner snorkeler.
As I was snorkeling around, I was greeted by this guy.  Poor guy was missing his right front flipper, but he seemed to swim ok.
Another triggerfish I've not seen on Kauai---the Pinktail Triggerfish.

After spending a couple hours at Ulua, we headed back to the condo to clean up and get ready to head up to Lahaina for the afternoon/evening.  We bought tickets to the live performance of Ulalena for that evening.  But first we figured we'd wander around Lahaina and get a bite to eat.  My sister had never been to a Bubba Gumps and we were in the mood for fish, so we went there.  Our meals of fish and chips were very good.
The views from Bubba's was really good.  We were seated by a window and even got to watch a cruise ship get ready to cruise away.  Would love to be on it someday!
And we found a Na Hoku jewelers.  Love their jewelry!  But had to pass on any of it this time.
We shopped the many shops along the way.  Even enjoyed an art gallery.  Almost made it to the marina and the big banyon tree, but we were afraid we'd be late for the show if we continued any farther.

Another view just before we turned around and headed back.
Ulalena is a Maui Theatre production about Hawaiian legend and history blending acrobatic feats, hula and modern dance, costumes and lighting.  It lasted about 90 minutes and the "cheap" seats that we were in were about $60@.  It was entertaining and I especially loved watching the small band perform in their "cage".  I'm glad we went, but I probably wouldn't go again.  Not that I was disappointed in any of it, just that I'm cheap (except when it comes to NaHoku!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...