Wednesday, May 31, 2000

Tunnels:


Probably my favorite beach and snorkel spot on Kauai is Tunnels.  It's also the one we probably have the least luck getting to snorkel during the time of year we're there (usually Feb.).  But if we check the surf report and it shows good visibility at Haena and no surf advisories---we head North.  Sometimes the wind still gets us, but then we fall back to Anini, but we have had lots of great opportunities to  snorkel Tunnels.  We've only snorkeled the inner reef.  There is an outer reef, too, but swimming in deep ocean water to get to it freaks me out.  Not only is the snorkeling great, but I LOVE the view from the beach!
 there's plenty of shade to be found, too, if you want it.
even the turtles like it here.
 low tide

heading in
the Bali Hai mountains
 back towards the beach
 out to sea
The water is often clearer here then elsewhere around Kauai, too.
The snorkeling is fantastic.   There are more schools of large fish here.  But it can be rather spooky.  Especially looking out from the sandy area drops off into oblivion.
and where the shallow inner reef drops off
 a Lagoon triggerfish going over the edge.  This is the only place around Kauai I've seen these triggerfish.
another Ambon Toby by the dropoff
cleaner wrasse at the drop off
 a cruising Blue Travelly
2 more Lagoon Triggerfish
blue strip butterflyfish
one time out of the deep this very large turtle popped up right next to me and scared the heck out of me until I realized it was just a turtle.  Look at the size of those feet!

Fortunately I didn't see this guy until he was already past me.  After I held up the camera and blindly took this picture (which I'm surprised turned out so well!), I exited the water as fast as I could.  Told a couple getting ready to get in the water about the shark.  They just said, "You're not from around here are you?" and went right out to where I saw it.  That was the only shark I've seen in Hawaii and I'll be happy if that remains true.
some of the none scary Tunnels fishies---
4 spot butterflyfish
 one of the many schools
black side hawkfish
female hogfish
red day octopus hiding in a crevis
 white saddle goatfish
 my triggerfish buddy again
stocky hawkfish
 I haven't a clue what these little guys are.
another travelly or Jack
 an Arc eye hawkfish
tear drop butterflyfish 
Christmas wrasse
 some of the coral that made Tunnels so nice.  Sadly it's taken a beating since we've been coming here.  So sad to see snorkelers unknowingly or uncaringly trampling it.
white bar surgeonfish

 school of ring tail surgeonfish near shore.
 male surge wrasse
 don't know what these guys are but they were quite large (big eye scad?)
here they are again with a large parrot fish to give some perspective
female bird wrasse
male red lip parrot fish
 more dying coral
 lots of different surgeonfish
 an occasional shell
 lots of fish in very shallow water
So easy to see lots of fish so close to shore.
It's nice to know there is a lifeguard with quick access to the area, too. (note the guy on the dune buggy)
 Even when conditions aren't good for snorkeling it can be nice to go up there.  Check out the surf height this day!
 
This is looking back at the snorkel area from by the lifeguard station.
 also a nice place to end the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...