Friday, February 20, 2009

2009-Feb. 20: Foster Gardens, Waikiki Aquarium

What to do?! Why not head to Foster Garden's? I love gardens and could never interest any of my other travel companions to go there with me. So I walked up to Kuhio St. and caught the #4 bus to the gardens. Upon boarding the bus, I asked for a transfer which was good for 4 hours from the time I stepped onto the bus.
 It was about an hour ride to the gardens, but it was interesting seeing the parts of Honolulu that the bus took me through. The garden's are beautiful and I easily spent about 2 1/2 hours wandering around them. It's not a huge garden, but for a photographer, it had a lot to offer---like this---
 and this---looks like scraps of builders concrete to me, but I'm sure it's someone's art piece.
 Most of the gardens were different types of green trees,


IMG_2052 copy
but there was an orchid garden, too, and a small butterfly garden.
IMG_2168 copy 
After running around the garden, I used my transfer ticket to hitch a ride back to Waikiki. But instead of getting off by the condo, I road to Kapiolani park and got off there. I walked through the park and to the Aquarium. I love sealife and, again, noone has been interested in going to the aquarium with me before. I thoroughly enjoyed the aquarium!  I'd definately be a member of the Aqaurium if I lived here!
IMG_2213 copy
I have a special fondness for these cute little yellow tangs. I saw tons of them while snorkeling around the Big Island, but very few on Kauai or Waikiki beach.
IMG_2308 copy 
 Stripeys---the only place I've seen these guys other than at Lydgate on Kauai.  Wonder how they got there.
 I've seen one of these guys in real life, but it was green---frog fish
 I was even fortunate enough to be there at the time they feed the 2 monk seals they have there, so I got to watch that and listen to the trainers speak about them. Here they are anxiously awaiting the trainer.
 She even had them trained to let her look at their teeth

IMG_2335 copy 
From the aquarium, I walked back up to my condo and rested until near sunset.
 Then it was time to head to the beach again. To my surprise, there were tons of sailboats out. Made for some fun watching.
 I sat on the grassy hill by Ft. Derussy park and watch the sail boats and sunset.  Both were really interesting!
IMG_2453 copy
Not a dud!
IMG_2462 copy 
After the sun set, it was time to head back to the condo and rest the weary feet again. Dinner was take out from the pizza place below the resort. It was very good---Round Table.  We don't have those in the midwest, unfortunately! 

It was a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...