Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Feb. 29, 2012---Leap day! Tunnels and Kee

We decided to attend our resort's owner's meeting bright and early this morning.  Forgot about it last Wed. and had company then, so it worked out well to get to it today.  So at 8:30 we were listening to the manager talk about all the "upcoming" improvements.  Now we're being told all the "soft" materials in the condos will be replaced within 3 years and then on a 6 year turn over basis.  That will be nice if that happens.   The carpeting in our current unit is certainly overdue replacement!!!

Back in the condo, I hit the internet to figure out where to go today.  According to weather.com, it was suppose to be 78 in Lawai and 85 in Hanalei.  Weather.com also said it was going to be partly sunny both places.  Kauaiexlorer.com said the waves in Lawai were 1-3 feet and only 3-5 in Haena and that Haena was the only one with a "good" visibility rating for the water .  The north surge was down, too.  According to weather.com, Hanalei is going to be socked in with clouds the next few days.  So I begged Ken to travel north one last time and hoped for some snorkeling at Tunnels and Kee.  So by 10 we were on our way.

First stop was breakfast.   No pancakes and eggs today!  We went straight to Mc Donald's and got our junk food fix (I actually had a yogurt, fruit and granola cup, too, along with my Mcdouble---very good!)  I got a big kick out of their pie ad!   Thought of giving it a try---then gained my senses!
Traffic moved well today and we were at Tunnels about 40 minutes later.  We did hit a little rain along the way and wondered where the sun was, but held out hope that it would come out.   Didn't find the temps rising to 85, either!  I think it was about 72 most of the day.  I'm not even sure kauaiexplorer was right!  When we got to Tunnels, it was almost flat!  Low tide was also going to be 2:30 today and I find the surf usually calms down more around low tide.  So I was stoked!  All that was missing was a little sunshine---and a fully charged underwater camera battery!  No sooner did I get in the water when my camera warning "charge battery soon" came on!   It did last a lot longer then I expected it to, though.
 Alluring and scary is the sudden drop off near so near to the shoreline.  It goes from shallow and crystal clear to deep blue and poor visibility.  What's out there --- besides the shark that startled me last year?!
 As I recall, this is a female Hawaii hogfish.  I've seen them at Anini, but it was much clearer here at Tunnels.
 I wonder if this is the juvenile blackside hawkfish?  The tail looks like the ones I've seen at Lawai, but those had black heads.  This is the first one I've seen with the speckled head.
 I was really excited when I saw this triggerfish.  I remembered seeing one of these 11 years ago on the Big Island.  This is the first time I've seen one of these vibrant triggerfish on Kauai.
 Here's the triggerfish that we see all over Kauai.
 As I was slowly floating along the edge, suddenly a VERY large turtle popped up from below so close to me that it really startled me.  Sure glad it wasn't a shark!  Here it is after I backed away.
 After about 2 hours of non-stop snorkeling, we decided to get out and warm up a bit.  Of course, it started raining.  So we packed up and figured we'd head to Kee.  By the time we found a parking spot, it had stopped raining (for a little while), so we jumped into that calm pool of water.
 At one point, I spotted these 2 lobsters.  It appeared that they were placed here---for use later--or already had their tails town off?  They were pretty far down, so I didn't investigate too much, but I doubt they lay around upside down on their own!

We were really surprised to see so much sand washed up against the reef .  We were just here last week and I'm sure there wasn't that much sand!  I wonder where it all came from!?


We spent about 2 hours snorkeling here, too, mostly on the left side of the "pool" where there is usually a current pulling out to sea.  Today it was totally calm.  Even came across this pretty snowflake eel.
 And another eel---not sure what kind.  It was brown and white and a lot more agressive.  But, of course, this is when my camera's battery decided it was done.
Shortly after that, I even saw a baracuda.  Could have gotten really clear pictures of it---unlike the ones I've gotten at Poipu in the churned up sandy area.  About 2 hours into our snorkeling here, it started raining, no---pouring!  We tried to sit in the water and wait it out since the rain was cold, but we finally gave in and got out.   We grabbed our stuff and headed to the car.  No 85 degrees today, but it was a GREAT day!

We headed back to our condo.  Traffic moved well again.  Got back and spent some time in the jacuzzi.  At 7, we decided it was time for more junk food---so off to Taco Bell! 

Another great day----even with all the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...