Friday, January 26, 2018

2018-1-26  Snorkeling Kahekili and sunset in Lahaina!


Usually the day after we arrive on the islands we're pretty exhausted.  But I'm feeling great.  I'm thinking splitting the trip up into 2 days and splitting up the 5 hours of time change is a good thing!  Thanks, Alaska Airlines for eliminating our morning ATL-SEA flight!!!  We even stayed up until after midnight HST last night.  Still got up early, about 6 HST, but a lot of that was thanks to a couple phone calls from the mainland!  Wonder if Hawaii residents get all these annoying soliciting phone calls early in the morning!?
Anyway----
We still didn't get an early start to anything.  Most constructive event early this morning was checking out these birds from our lanai.
Then we lounged around, ate some cereal for breakfast, and headed down to the office to officially check in.  Requested a floor fan for the un-airconditioned upstairs, and to my surprise, there were 2 by our door when we got back later in the afternoon.
Had to stop and admire the hibiscus by the office.

 Then we grabbed our swim suits---so I thought---and headed off.  Thought we'd try to go to Kapalua.  But it was already after 9:30 and the lot was full.  Didn't want to pay $10 to park by the tennis courts, so headed to Kahekili Beach Park.  It was almost full, too!  That's also when Ken said he forgot his swimsuit.  To which I suggested he sit on the beach and watch me snorkel.  And he did!
 Love all the trees here.  Will have to make it back here for sunset some day!
 Heading in---with my new fitbit!  Took my old one in here, too, last time we were here--- 1 1/2 years ago!   Quickly got out and returned it to my bag, seemingly non-damaged. 
2nd try.  That didn't go so well, either!  For the first time ever, I had a snorkel that did not keep the water out.  After 2 or 3 gulps of salt water, it got ripped from my mask and mysteriously disappeared.  Good thing this wasn't my first time snorkeling.  If it was, it probably would have been my last time snorkeling!  Back to the car to get Ken's snorkel.  Good thing he forgot his suit today!
Third time was a charm!  First fellow to meet me was this triggerfish. 
 love these threadfin butterflyfish
 general wide angle view with a school of fish in it.
 a parrotfish
 School of orange bar surgeonfish and a parrotfish
 school of brown surgeonfish
black spot sergeant.
 some yellow tangs
 a large peacock grouper
 large puffer
 school of yellow tangs.
 more of the topography
 mysterious bubbles rising from the rocks
 parrotfish again
 ring tail surgeonfish
 looking back towards the Westin?
 towards the park
 out to sea
 after an hour or so, I got out.  We sat and gazed at the ocean for awhile.  It was quite crowded on the beach today.  Wonder if the fee for the tennis court parking by Kapalua has anything to do with here being so crowded? 
 Why this beach is also known as Old Airport beach.
 One last look.
 We decided lunch was in order.  So we headed to Round Table.  We loved their pizza in Kihei, so figured we'd check this one out in Kapalua. 
 Nice little place
 the pizza was good, but I don't think it's as good as I remembered the ones in Kihei.  I would swear they had a crispier crust. 
After heading back to the condo for a couple hours, we were off in search of a place for sunset.  Where should we go today?  Ended up deciding on Lahaina!  Got there about 4pm and wandered around before sunset.
 Love checking out the bikes here in Hawaii.  There are some interesting ones, and interesting riders.
 love all the bougainvillea everywhere in Hawaii, too.
 We parked at the free 3 hour parking lot at the South end of town.  noticed this sign by the parking lot.  Looks like this would be an interesting walk.
 Love all the art shops along the main street.  Like the one with this guy!
 Even walked across to the huge banyan tree.
 continuing down quirky main street.
 The Baldwin house---it is the oldest house still standing on the island of Maui.  The original four-room, single level structure was built by Reverend Ephraim Spaulding between 1834-35 as a “missionary compound.”
 decorative bust over the door of a historic building on main street.
 love these door handles
 one of the many galleries.  This one had a Dr. Suez exhibit.
 typical building along the road
 walkway along the ocean
 looking towards the marina
 Just in case you couldn't tell you're in a little surf town, someone will ride by with a surf board on their car.
 another of the quirky bikes.
 The clouds did get a bit heavy before sunset.  Not much color tonight, but the sun rays were pretty cool.
 What the well dressed waiter wears.
 This bike is really Sikk.
 walking along the Front Street.
 That's it, sun has set.
 With that, torches are lit on top of a building---Fleetwoods, I think.
 got more color over to the East then to the West.
 Call me weird, but I find stuff like this interesting.
 Playing around with shutter speed.
Dinner???  McDonald's.  That was an interesting venture!  I was charged for 2 sodas instead of one.  When I mentioned to her I just wanted 1 soda, she took one cup away and started to wait on the next person.  I know it's only $1, but it was a matter of principle---"how about refunding me my dollar!!!???", I asked---to which I got no answer.  I walk a lot of miles before I find a whole dollar in change!  Then when our food came, we mentioned to her about the over charge.  She went and got me another cup.  Again we said we didn't want it, but would like a refund.  I was even happy to accept a cone in exchange, but they couldn't do that.  I did finally get the dollar.  I want to waste it on what I choose to waste it on!
I also got a kick out of these signs in McDonald's.  "Caution, do not sit"---really?---where???
It was a beautiful day here today---about 82 for a high.  Nice breeze.  Fairly calm water.  Could have been clearer, but not bad.  I haven't always been a fan of Lahaina, but it's really growing on  me.  There really is some interesting art there!

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved your pictures and your post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...