Saturday, January 27, 2018

2018-1-27  Snorkeling Kapalua and a most amazing sunset at Lahaina:



I must be adjusted to Hawaii time already!  Maybe my body is really naturally on Hawaii time!!!  Anyway---I didn't get up until about 9:30 today.  Maybe it was because there were no soliciting calls from the mainland today.  So by the time we ate our cereal and piddled around a bit, it was already after 11.  I suggested we head up to Kapalua and see if the cloudy weather was scaring people away.  Maybe it did!  We were able to get a parking spot in the park's lot.
Yea!  We get to snorkel Kapalua! 
 Well----one of us did!  Again I had snorkel gear problems!  This time the strap on my mask broke!!!  Never had that happened to me before---or the snorkel failing, for that matter!  So I took Ken's mask again and made him take a nap on the beach again while I snorkeled.
Snorkeling today was great!  The weather threatened to rain, but it didn't.  Didn't see any sun, either.  But that made underwater photography really good---no harsh shadows.
Barred Filefish
 moorish idol
 lei triggerfish
 coris
 blue trevally
 a huge octopus!
 another picture of the octopus. 
needle nose butterfly fish
 wide angle in shallow water.
 a school of sergeant majors
 sail fin tang
 turtle
 Mr. turtle again
 One of the four eels I saw.
 fan tail triggerfish
 tear drop butterfly fish
 pink tail triggerfish
 blue goatfish
 saddle wrasse
 unicorn fish
 trumpet fish
 brown side hawkfish
 I snorkeled about 1 1/2 hours, then took pity on Ken and got out.  We sat around for awhile, then decided to hit the road.
First stop---the pool by our condo.  These flowers bordered the pool.  I wondered what those red balls turned into.  Would never have guessed a pretty white flower.
 our pool with our building in the background
 another flower bordering the pool
Then it was time to clean up and head out again.  So we headed back to The Snorkel Store near Round Table Pizza.  Got the strap and Ken got himself a new snorkel---in case he eventually gets to snorkel.  We had planned to go to Sangarita's next door for an early dinner, but the guy at The Snorkel Store gave us a couple food coupons---one being a BOGO50%Off for CJ's Diner a couple doors down the other direction.  Ken really enjoyed his patty melt and potato salad.  I enjoyed my Hawaiian chicken salad with pineapple in it and their Miso Balsamic dressing.
By now it was about 5, so we decided to ride back into Lahaina.    It was still totally overcast.   But we enjoyed driving around the little beach town.  Still saw some interesting views.
I liked how the yellowish/orange boat stood out in this washed out scene.
 Ingenious! 
 Thought this was an interesting looking church.
 Being a Catholic Church and Saturday night, mass was getting ready to start.  Probably would have been fun to go to.  We drove by again later and heard some really pretty choir music.
 There's an interesting cemetery here, too. 
 and lots of pretty landscaping.
 We also drove by the old prison.
 I got out of the car and took a few pictures.
 On our way again---and another interesting biker.
 Back to Front Street and peeking into a gallery.  Looks like the big craze right now is prints on metal.  I can see why!
 peeking into another shop
 Our drive took us by a boat ramp area.  May have to go back and try to get creative with that cool looking old bridge.
 There was a cemetery here, too---in the sand!
 We thought about heading back to the condo, but decided to ride through town one more time.  Earlier a guy was sitting here painting this picture.  Love his style.
 I wasn't expecting a sunset since we hadn't seen the sun all day.  But this is Lahaina---there's always beautiful sunsets there!  So Ken dropped me off by the oceanfront walkway and drove off to wait for me to call him to come pick me back up.
 playing around with slow shutter again.
 then the sky started to really light up!
 It was gorgeous!
 So glad we didn't give up on sunset.
it was a long sunset---about 45 minutes, during which I took about 150 pictures.  I'm sure the people all around me thought I was crazy!
 Even when I was leaving I was still taking pictures.
 Waiting for Ken to come back and pick me up. 
 Didn't notice this guy earlier.  Looked like some really neat flowers made from coconut leaves.  Wish I had read his sign while i was waiting for Ken to get back.
That was it for today.  Another great day!  Would like to see the sun again, but at least it was pleasant outside.  I think it was only in the 70s today---almost balmy.  Guess I've forgotten those Midwest temperatures already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...