Wednesday, January 24, 2018

2018-1-24  on our way to Maui, by way of Seattle:


A little over a month ago when Alaska Airlines cancelled our 6am flight to Seattle, I wasn't too disappointed.  They put us on the 3:50 pm flight the day before and promised to put us up in a hotel in Seattle for the night.  Then we'd catch our connection at 10:20 the next day and continue the journey.   Originally we were going to have to drive ourselves to the airport, drop off a rental car, ride the tram to the airport, check in, get through security, and make it to our gate--- all by 6am.  It was so nice being able to sleep in.  Plus our daughter took us to the airport since it wasn't during rush hour---or an un-Godly hour!  In fact, we made fantastic time today---probably our fastest from doorstep to gate (just at an hour).  We even had to check in at the Alaska Airlines counter due to the separation of the flights.
Anyway---the plane was on time and boarding was fast.
 We were on our way right on time
 Good bye Atlanta!!!

 Lake Allatoona ??? in Georgia
I believe these are the Smoky Mountains.
 late lunch---not bad at $7.  It even had Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese in it. 
 When I called the airlines a couple days ago to verify the comped hotel, the agent moved us to some elite seats.  Not only did we have the row to ourselves, but we were offered a free drink---so I took it.  Another IPA I've never tried before.  It was very good!
 It was a beautiful day for flying.  A little turbulent in the Midwest, but very clear.
 getting to the colder part of the country
 Love all the perfect square farmlands
 lots of snow!


 When snow looks like fur
 Unfortunately it got dark before we got to the mountains.  Got into Seattle about 9:30 EST.
 Once we got off the plane we headed to an Alaska gate agent and she gave us the hotel voucher---Best Western Airport hotel.  Not only that, but she also gave us two $24 food vouchers!!!!
 I wasn't expecting them.  Not only were our flights free (or for about $7@ for taxes and fee on award tickets), but we got free drinks, free hotel night, and free food vouchers.
 We had to retrieve our luggage, then headed to the shuttle area and got our ride to the hotel.  Nothing fancy, but clean and nice.


 We used one of the food vouchers for our dinner in the cafe there in the Best Western.
 I ended up with a Oriental Chicken salad which was very good.  Ken got a panini which he raved about, along with a side salad and the soup that I didn't care for.
 Nice cafe with great service and very good food.
I was thinking of cancelling my Alaska Airlines credit card after this trip since there aren't many flights out of Atlanta, but after this kind of service, I may have to keep it!  I got it back when we were flying out of St. Louis and AA kept putting us on Alaska Airlines.   We always had a great experience with Alaska Airlines.  Wish they would have more flights from Atlanta!  (Once we got back home, I actually called AAciticards and was ready to cancel that card, but they offered me the yearly fee credited back if I spend $1000 on their card within 90 days.  Pfff---I can do that in a day!  So I kept that credit card, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...