Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Car:


 I had reservations for a full size car from discount Hawaii car rentals with Dollar car rentals for about $990 for the 4 weeks we'll be there.  Then got one through Costcotravel.com for about $1160 through Budget.  I'm a Fastbreak member and have always had great luck getting free upgrades with Budget, so cancelled the Dollar one.  On 12/31 the Explorer size SUV was available through Costcotravel for about $1100 with Budget.  So I cancelled the Full size car and paid more for gas to have a roomier vehicle for all our snorkel gear and the guests we had for 1 week.

As soon as we arrived in Maui, I took off to the shuttle to ride to Budget while Ken waited for our 3 checked bags (one full of snorkel gear for us and our friends; the other 2 were actually our carry on bags which Alaska Airlines courtesy checked for us).  Maybe because we got in there at 2pm instead of late, but Budget was a little slower today.  There were only a couple people in front of me in the Fastbreak line (a whole bunch of people in the regular line), but it took about 30 minutes for my turn.  I found out why they were slow when I got up to the counter---they were out of a lot of car categories.  At first they gave me an Expedition.  I know it's an upgrade, but that's one I didn't want.  Parking in Maui is tough enough in an Explorer size SUV.  I offered to take a luxury car off their hands, but she offered a small SUV, full size, or premium category car.   I almost took the premium one, but wasn't familiar with that car (forget when it was now).  But I decided to wait. She said it would be over 30 minutes, but I knew we were going to be there for a month, so figured I'd wait for what we wanted.  At that point, she did some calling around and said they were bringing a Standard SUV over from Avis for us.  Less then 5 minutes later I was hopping into a Nissan Pathfinder. 

 It served us well.  I liked that the windows were tinted.  All our luggage fit in it---including when we had ours and our friends' luggage in it the day we switched accommodations.  Missed not having a navigator app in it, but did have my phone.  No real complaints with it. 
I know Budget on Maui gets a really bad rap.  I hear you wait for an hour or more if you're not a Fastbreak member.  In the 20+ times we've been to the islands, we've almost exclusively used Budget and this is probably the longest wait we've had---and it wasn't bad.   They consistantly seem to be the cheapest option for the grade of car we want.  Would I use other companies?  Yes---if the price is much better.   But for now, Budget has treated us well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...