Friday, February 3, 2006

2006-Feb. 3---Smith's Luau:


Of course we had to take Dad to a luau. So off we were to Smith's Luau for Ken's and my 3rd time, Tim and Faith's 2nd time and Dad's first luau. I would go there every trip if I didn't need an excuse to get Ken to go. I love the garden as well as the performance and the food.
And I get to take portraits of my "kids" again!
 We always arrive early so I can wander around the gardens.  Not only is it full of beautiful plants, but it also has some unique critters there---like this albino peacock.
 Great views of Sleeping Giant, too.

 Such a beautiful and serene place!


 So many places to just chill out at.

 and so many beautiful backgrounds for portraits.

 There are even a few large statues in the garden.
Also by arriving early (opens at 5), we're able to take a free narrated tram tour around the lush 30-acre gardens (last tram tour departs at 5:30 P.M., November through February: 5:15 P.M.)

 another one of the many places to just sit back and enjoy the views.


About 6 we headed to the Imu Ceremony. 
 There they talked about the Hawaiian cooking method called Kalua, where Kalua pig is wrapped in ti leaves and cooked under ground in an imu oven.
 Between 6:15 and 6:30 everyone finds a place to sit under the covered dining hall and enjoys free mai tais, beers, or glasses of wine while the Smith family entertains with Hawaiian songs. (Soft drinks and juice are also available.)   The Luau feast includes traditional flavors and island favorites like kalua pork, beef teriyaki, chicken adobo, and sweet’n’sour mahimahi, as well as local specialties like lomi salmon, fresh poi, Hawaiian sweet potato, mac salad, namasu salad and  tropical desserts.  It was so good, I forgot to take any pictures of it!
The Rhythm of Aloha Show starts at 8 in an open air amphitheatre on property.  It is authentic performances from Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa, Philippines, New Zealand, China and Japan. 


 We love that the performers are young locals that really seem to be having a great time. 



 It really does feel like you're at a family luau.


 I don't often buy pictures of myself, but with the whole group, how could I not!
Lots of activities are fun to do once, but this one I could do every time!  It may not be the high fashion professional performances of some of the other luaus on the islands, but that's what makes this one even more special to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...