Saturday, January 25, 2014

Jan. 25-Sat.-move day, Moloaa beach-

Time to pack up and move to our  usual home on Kauai---Kauai Beach Villas.  So after packing up, I walked over to the Coconut Marketplace to see what changes have taken place there.  It looks like it would have been a great place to go for my rash guard and shorts!  Oh well!  It's a nice mall to have within walking distance.
When I was done checking out the Coconut Marketplace, it was time to check out of Kauai Coast Resort.  Again I got our time at Kauai Beach Villas for half the Wyndham points and 5 of the days I got us a free upgrade to a 2 bedroom from a 1 bedroom.  The other 2 days I paid the half price for a 2 bedroom so we don't have to change rooms.  Unfortunately no oceanviews were available.  Kauai Coast Resort is more updated including a much better mattress, has central ac, the resort is more compact, pool is heated!, plus it's location has a slight edge over Kauai Beach Villas.  On the other hand, our unit at KBV is quite a bit larger, does have ac in the bedrooms, location is secluded which sometimes is preferred, and it's just so familiar to us now.  Both are on the East side.  We've stayed at KBV 12 times now, so I won't include too many pictures of it.  


New bedspread!
We're in B building this year (1st time) and don't have much of a view, even of the lagoon.  The buildings in the view are the backs of the pool buildings.

After unloading our stuff, we headed to Lihue for a little shopping.  We decided to go to Time's grocery store this time.  They had some really good prices---some cheaper then we have at home!  Even found my Hawaiian Sun Lite drinks that I couldn't find at Safeway, Walmart, and K-mart--and they were on sale at Time's.   Then we went to Hamura Saimin and picked up my beloved lilikoi chiffon pie.  Still haven't found a lilikoi dessert I like better.  I've even tried to make it at home with Auntie Lilikoi's juice, but can't get it nearly as airy.  So I'll gladly pay the $16.50 and eat a whole pie while I'm here (might even let Ken have a piece or 2)!
Of course we had to go back to our room and drop off all our goodies.  Then I had to talk hubby into going to Moloaa beach on the East side.  It's usually too rough to snorkel in the winter.  The surf report said the East side surf was only 1-2', so I thought it might be a good time to check that beach out again.  We snorkeled there a few years ago and it was incredibly clear.  Didn't see much then, but it is another unbelievably beautiful beach.

  At first I was hesitant about snorkeling with the surf that was coming in, but the little area to the far left really didn't look too bad and there were a lot of people on the beach this time.
There was a pretty good surge through there and it was stirring up lots of gunk, but we still enjoyed snorkeling in there for an hour or 2.  Even saw a small octopus.  Here he is swimming to a hiding spot.
He was quite the camouflage expert!  I was able to watch him change from smooth and red to speckled and spiky.  
I also saw 2 eels.  The picture of the brown one didn't turn out too well.  But the white and brown one was ok.
There were more fish here then I remembered the one other time we were there.  There were a few more critters like this Bluestriped butterflyfish.
a pair of Moorish Idols
 More spiny brittle star.  I don't remember seeing them before, but there are a lot of them this year.
  a Blue eye Damselfish
a young unicornfish, saddle wrasse and a pearl wrasse
 a Lizardfish
don't know what these are but there was a large school of these minnows.
a large coronet fish
We met a couple from Poipu who said they came here to escape the clouds and winds down South.  Glad we didn't go South today!  It was gorgeous on the East side all day!   Another look at Moloaa as we were walking back out.  This is the surf outside the little more protected area.
As we were heading back to our condo, we decided to stop at Ono Char Burgers not far from Moloaa to get a snack---which ended up being dinner.  We got a fish and chips and onion rings to share.  It was very good.  I've had their burgers before,too, and they are really good, too.  I assume everything on their menu is good.
Who's the chicken here?!.
more of our colorful dinner mates.

very reasonable prices, too.
Hit the jacuzzi before heading back to the room.  Another fabulous day on the East side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...