Friday, January 31, 2014

Jan. 31, 2014 ---Finally!-snorkel Tunnels!


I'd been checking the surf report daily with no luck for snorkeling the north shore.  But today it was below advisory and with a wave height of 2-5' and good visibility.  So I was anxious to head north.  I don't think Ken was as anxious, but he went.  After eating up the last of our eggs and bacon (move day again tomorrow), we got ready and headed out for the maybe hour ride to Tunnels.  Didn't get there until after 11.  I was surprised to see the sun was shining and the beach probably had more sand on it since the 50' surge then it had before.

 
  Lagoon triggerfish.  This is the only place on Kauai that I've seen these guys.
arc-eye hawkfish
colorful blue goatfish
another eel
One of the things I like about Tunnels is the number of schools of fish here.  This is part of a school of Picasso  Triggerfish.
a male bird wrasse
female bird wrasse
 school of ring tail surgeonfish
 lots of fish

school of wrasses
a large peacock grouper in the deep water of the drop off.
my triggerfishies
white bar surgeonfish, orange bar surgeonfish and a female Hawaiian hogfish
 ???
 colorful male surge wrasse
1 reason why the coral at Tunnels and elsewhere is dying.  :(
 I don't know what these large schooling fish are.  The  parrotfish was huge, so that gives some perspective to the size of these silver fish.

School of threadfin butterflyfish
 male redlip parrotfish
 blackside hawkfish
stocky hawkfish
 Another fish I haven't seen on Kauai before (lots on Maui)-pebbled butterflyfish
lots of chubs and other smaller fish
 female surge wrasse
I guess the large waves didn't harm the fish here.  I was also surprised at how clear the water was and how warm it was.  I expected the waves to have cooled it down, but it was as warm as Poipu (75 according to the tv)
 We tried to go to Kee, too, but parking was a bear, so we headed to Anini.  Saw a few more different critters.
Anini
 A couple flat worms.
 big eye emporer guarding the opening to the turtle's den.
turtle coming out for a breath of air.
 ringed sap-sucking slug---there are a lot of these guys at Anini.  I haven't seen them elsewhere. (Until the 2nd time we snorkeled Anahola, then I noticed some there, too)
 the largest white mouth moray eel that I've seen.  Then there was another one about 10 feet from this one.
 parting shot of the lighthouse from of Anini.
From there we went to Princeville and caught the sunset. 
On our way back to KBV, we stopped at the Wailua Marina Restaurant.   Decided to give it another try.  Salad bar was good and fresh.  Our meals were tasty and reasonably priced.  Apparently they're only open Thur.-Sat. or Sun and they no longer have a liquor license.  It certainly was quiet and not crowded.  Thus ends another fantastic day on Kauai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...