Saturday, February 14, 2015

Feb.14, 2015--Valentine's day and Whale Day:

We really lucked out with the Whale Day parade!  It gathered and started right across the side street from our resort.  So I walked down to the street and sat and watched the parade.
 First young bag piper I've seen.







  reggae sounds.
 love the outfit and the little dog in his purse.

  love the floaties.


 When this came by, the little boy sitting next to me started to run out to get a popsicle. 
cute popsicle advertisement.


 love the characters wearing flip flops


 snorkel anyone?
 roller derby girls
 trident?

 love the mermaid outfits




 Decided I'd get a jump on the blog today---amazing how much faster it works in the mid day!  More to follow after we actually do something.
Done for the day!  Not quite the Valentine's day I was anticipating, but a good one none the less.  We ended up heading to LaPerouse Bay and walking the trail for quite a distance.  On our way there, I took a picture of Ahihi Bay as we passed by.  One of my favorite places to snorkel---roughest I've ever seen it.
  On the trail by LaPerouse Bay.  I love the Dr. Suez looking things.
  the beginning part of the trail.  We ran into a Ranger about a mile in and asked how long the trail was.  He told us it was 17 miles long.  That's when we decided we weren't hiking the whole thing, just to where the tree line ends!
  Note the goats hiding in the Dr. Suez plants!  I think there were about 5 or 6 of them---but only 3 were close enough to try and take a picture of.
  more of the trail
  wild flowers along the trail
  the surf was pounding! 
  This really gives you no idea how hard the surf was pounding, but it was.

  We saw 4 memorials.  I presume to surfers.  I wonder if they're for different surfers?  I wonder why someone would surf where so many have died?! 
 I was surprised how much greenery was glowing on the lava field.  I don't remember there being so much greenery 2 years ago.

 another one of our snorkel spots---Makena Landing. 
  Looking back on Makena Landing.  Wonder if the West side is being battered as badly?!


 From Poolenalena looking towards Maluaka beach---that's quite a surf break!
  then the rains came.  It poured here on the south side!  I bet they got about 1/2 their yearly rainfall today!
 Our Valentine's dinner was from Da Kitchen.  If you want a really fast meal, that's the place to go.  If you want a fancy meal on Valentine's Day, make a reservation well in advance.
   I assume the meats are precooked and heated to order, but my kalua pork dinner with poppy seed salad and rice was very good.  Ken said his burger was really good, too. 
 Back at the resort, we hit the pool and Jacuzzi for an hour or 2 and called it a day.  I even started reading a book tonight.  I don't often read because I usually get so involved in the book that I don't do much else.  Back to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...