Friday, February 20, 2015

Feb.20---Maui Ocean Center:

More surf came in last night and the Maui surf and beach website again mentioned poor visibility for everywhere, but East.   We did drive to the West side hoping Kapalua would be good, but people we talked to said visibility was poor and we would have to park by the tennis courts.  
 so we thought maybe we could watch some more surfers at Honolua.  We found a couple surprises there---a fire, and snorkel boats at Honolua!  There was no surf, again, and we couldn't even check out the spouting horn because the fire had the road closed off.  I tried to talk Ken into letting me snorkel Honolua for a little while.  He refuses to get in the water there because of the rocky entrance.  Now it looks like he's refusing to let me, too.  Very depressing thinking I may never get to snorkel Honolua again.  I hope the same isn't true for Ahihi!---my 2 favorite places to snorkel on Maui. 
 so we thought maybe we could watch some more surfers at Honolua.  We found a couple surprises there---a fire, and snorkel boats at Honolua!  There was no surf, again, and we couldn't even check out the spouting horn because the fire had the road closed off.  I tried to talk Ken into letting me snorkel Honolua for a little while.  He refuses to get in the water there because of the rocky entrance.  Now it looks like he's refusing to let me, too.  Very depressing thinking I may never get to snorkel Honolua again.  I hope the same isn't true for Ahihi!---my 2 favorite places to snorkel on Maui. 


  I guess to placate me, we went to the Maui Ocean Center.  I had gone here about 10 years ago with my Dad.  It's a pretty nice aquarium.
I decided to take pictures of fish I haven't seen yet this trip, but still hope to----
like these Pennant butterflyfish.  Saw a bunch of these guys near Molokini a few years ago.
  Bandit Angelfish
  goldring surgeonfish?  I've seen them many times, but never this lightly colored.
 lagoon triggerfish.  I usually see a couple at Maluaka Beach, but I couldn't find them a couple days ago.
 Pennant butterflyfish
  a seahorse
  flame wrasse
  small tail or pencil wrasse
  flame Angelfish
  Potter's Angelfish
  jellyfish.  There was an infestation last weekend, but they apparently floated away---which is actually fine with me.
  black tip shark---actually I don't wish to see him or her!
 nd especially not the Tiger shark.
 saw one of these guys at Tunnels on Kauai.  Wonder if I'd be as scared if I saw another one?!  I was amazed, though, that 2 divers got in the tank and fed the fish when it was their dinner time.  I was surprised to see the sharks were really timid about taking any of the food for awhile.  Apparently they keep the sharks for a while, then let them go.  They had a 2nd tiger shark that they had just recently gotten.  It was pretty elusive.
 That was pretty much our day.  Ate our left overs and hung out at the pool for a couple hours.  Even read some more in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...