Tuesday, February 22, 2011

2011-Feb. 22: Salt Pond, Waimea pier

It was another cloudy morning on the east side. So we decided to head way south/west today. As we were driving down the road of our resort, Ken spotted these 2 wild boars. So I jumped out and went to take a picture of them. We've seen a few baby wild pigs in the past, but this was the first time we'd seen adult ones and was surprised to see them so close to the resort. As I was trying to get their picture, a women totally oblivious to the uniqueness of the sighting---or not caring---came walking up loudly talking and scared them away. I tried to point out the pigs to her, but all she wanted was for me to take a picture of her with her camera by the trees lining the resort entrance. So I did and we all went about our merry ways.

Although the snorkeling at Saltpond isn't that great, it's a beautiful beach and usually a good place to find sun when everywhere else is raining. So we drove the hour or so to get there and spent much of the day there. This year we weren't able to drive down the dirt road we normally do to get to the far side of the bay where I do find some interesting snorkeling. So we parked in the real parking lot and I swam to the other side.

This little snorkel area is usually churning up some sand, but it does have some interesting critters. Here is a trumpet fish. We see lots of coronet fish around the island, but this is the only place I've seen a trumpet fish around Kauai. I've seen one here on many trips. I wonder if this is the same one.

This invertibrate was about the size of my fist. I hadn't seen a "sea slug" that big before. I believe it's officially called a sea hare.

 Some of the other little critters enjoying the water.
Back to the park side of Salt Pond.  Ken did get in the water and enjoy bobbing around in it for awhile.
  Even saw a few above ground critters, too---like this Cardinal.  Usually we just see the Cardinals here with red heads and white bodies.
 and some little shore birds.
 Just another view of Salt Pond from the far end of the parking lot.

When we got tired of playing around at Salt Pond, we changed and headed to Waimea Brewing company for another early dinner. Dinner and their freshly made lilikoi beer was very good.

With the sky still somewhat clear after dinner, we headed to a fishing pier in Waimea to wait for sunset.

The wait paid off. It was our prettiest of the mere 3 sunsets we witnessed this trip.


Sure do miss these sunsets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...