Tuesday, January 29, 2019

1-29-19 East side and Na Aina Kai Garden

Woke up to another pretty day--windy and cool by Hawaii standards (70ish), but sunny.  We had reservations at Na Aina Kai Gardens for the 1pm 1.5 hours stroll, so we took our time moving on.  Checked out of KBV for the final time at 10am. 
Then headed to breakfast in Kapaa---back to Olympic Cafe.
 Still find it interesting to see surf boards on firetrucks---but I know they are necessary here!
 Olympic Cafe was not very busy on a Tuesday morning!  But our service and food was excellent again!
 Next stop, a couple shoe stores.  In search for some more Chaco's.  The first one didn't have any, but they referred me to the Birkenstock store.  Eureka, they had a few pairs.  Didn't find a print that blew me away, but since I do like the fit so much, I chose the ones I liked the best of the selection they had.  (The old to the left with split sole, new ones to the right already dirty from walking the garden.)  And I didn't find the price jacked up here on the island. 
We still had about 1.5 hours before our garden stroll, so we stopped at Kealia beach for awhile.
 The surf was up, so we watched some surfers for awhile.


 Still had time, so I drove down to Anahola beach. 
 as I walked on the beach, this poor little guy was laying there.  Doesn't look like one I normally see snorkeling.  Big eye scat?
 love the view of the mountains from Anahola.
 Then we continued on to Na Aina Kai.  Still got there about 30 minutes early but got checked in quickly (used our reciprocal garden passes for a free tour) and waited outside for our docent.
 I already forgot her name---Michelle??  But she did a great job.  I've been on this tour 4 times now and each time have had a different docent with different info and slightly different route, so it's always enjoyable.  
orchids right by the office.
 the thinking frog right by the office.
 starting our walk.
 one of the many beautiful flowers.  I like that this garden is a formal garden.  I like the nature gardens of Kauai, too, but I do like see flowers and color especially this time of year.
 The 1.5 hour  stroll is actually the landscaped grounds of the house that Joyce and Ed Doty lived in.  When Ed died, Joyce moved and put the garden in a non-for-profit trust for all to enjoy.  
This is the guest cottage.
 more flowers.
 paper tree.
 big leaves
 entering the cacti garden
 and bromiliads
 new resident of the area
 and another
 Last time I was here there was another of these big palms blooming.  These palms bloom once, then die.  This one was finishing its blooming and dying now, too.
 heading up towards the house.

 one of the many beautiful sculptures on the grounds.  This was an anniversary gift from Joyce to Ed.
 in front of the house---which can now be rented for events like weddings and parties.
 We were serenaded by this guy while we were by the house.
 one of the more unusual blooming trees.  the white blooms turn brown very quickly.
 another sculpture.
 LOVE the pool here.  This is the very shallow kiddie pool
 the other pool with waterfall/slide.  I bet there were many hours of fun in this pool!
 on to more garden.
 love this sculpture under this cool umbrella like tree.
 looks like the sculpture is floating in air
 one of the lagoons on property.

 so beautifully maintained
 orchids growing everywhere.
 love these puff flowers.
 continuing around the lagoon.

 sculpture by the lagoon.
 love the color of these bougainvillea
 there were even water lilies blooming
 My favorite statue---Ed---it reminds me of my father who is also named Ed. 
 neat hanging flowers
 another part of the lagoon
 another sculpture
 a Hawaiian coot
 the lagoon has great views all around it.
 gigging
 probably my sister's favorite sculpture--a tea party with a kitten
 another look at the tropic bird fountain.
 more orchids
  more sculptures. 
 up to the tea house.
 I don't remember this sculpture last time I was here.
 another view of it
 inside the tea house---wonder how often they change the sand design.  What a neat way to decorate.
 inside the tea house
 love the rock garden by the tea house
 love the variegated leaves of this plant
 reminds me of mountain laurel, but I doubt that's what this is.
 love all the sculptures.
 a dog taking the kids for a walk.
 This is the first time the walk took us into the Children's garden!  What a fantastic children's garden!
 A family could spend all day here!
 cooling water station
 tree house
 maze
 huts
 play ground equipment
 even a Navajo sculpture with a cave in it
 and more sculptures in the Children's garden
 lots of animal sculptures
 Even a little jungle area
 and low critters that I assume are for climbing on.
 I also love the mosaics at the entrance of the Children's garden.  There is one on each side of each door and there are 2 doors---so 4 mosaics.  This was my favorite.
 From there we continued to the Shearwater where we'll stay for the rest of our trip (until Sat. when I fly to Maui and Carolyn flies back to Oregon).
No sunset to speak of.  Didn't even go out to dinner.  Carolyn took our left overs and made a really tasty pork and veggie stir fry.  Kudos to her for coming up with such a tasty way to use up our leftovers.
Again, I had hoped to get some snorkeling in at Lydgate or Anini today, but the surf conditions continue to be poor for snorkeling.  But, we still had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...