Saturday, January 19, 2019

1-19-19  long travel day!

This is actually after I've been up for about 20 minutes!  But then, with all the anticipation and worrying about missing my shuttle, I didn't sleep well anyway.
But I made it to the shuttle by 5:45.  

Not a very busy place that time of morning.  There were only 4 of us on the 6am non-stop shuttle.  I thought about taking the 7:30 one, but it made stops and got to the airport 1 1/2 hour before my flight instead of 3 1/2 like the non-stop.  Too bad there wasn't another shuttle in between those.  But when you going from small town Middle Georgia (Perry/Warner Robins area), you don't have a lot of choices.  I thought the price of $45 @ way was a little high, but found out later you can leave your car there.  So I had arranged for Angie to come get the car.  No sense her getting up that early just to drop me off. 
It was 1 1/2 hours to the airport---all in the dark of night.   I guess when you go that early, no one talks.  They don't even have the radio on.
The new covered drop off area at ATL.  The other side is shut down for it's renovations.
See you later 15 passenger shuttle van!
Just a few days ago there was a Blue Flu going around (with the government shut down and TSA agents), so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to get through security.  I was even TSA pre check.  Today was no problem!  I was literally through security in less then 5 minutes!  Probably the fastest I've ever gotten through security anywhere!  Then I headed underground to catch the Plane Train to concourse D.
For such a huge airport, it's really pretty easy getting around ATL.  Maybe a little intimidating the first time, but doesn't take long to learn your way around.
This is where I waited the longest!  For a smoothie!  There were only 2 people in front of me but the worker was SLOWWWWWW.  Good thing there was still 3 hours until my flight!
Found me an out of the way place to set up my computer and wait out the rest of the time.
Will have to admit, the smoothie was really good---worth the wait.
a weather front was heading towards Georgia.  We were getting the rain already, but there weren't any delays.
Finally we were on our way to Phoenix---about 5 hours away. 
Had some pretty interesting views as we got near Phoenix.

Looks cold down there!
Sure doesn't look like Hawaii!

Even a big lake was frozen.
Looking better.
finally made it to Phoenix.
downtown


After about an hour layover, it was time to get back on a plane.  Unlike the previous flight, this one was only about 2/3rds full.  I was able to have a whole row of 3 seats to myself.  That doesn't happen very often anymore!  May have to take this Phoenix flight more often! 
Love the cactus as seen while we were taxiing. 
My lunch/dinner.  Actually was pretty good!
Looking to my right, what do I see?----
heading into sunset.
it lasted quite awhile.
Almost done.
Got to Lihue on time---about 7:30---actually I think we were a little bit early.  I had reserved a car for 8:30 from Budget so we wouldn't have to return it until 8:30, but even taking my time getting luggage, catching the 2nd shuttle to Budget, and waiting for 2 people in front of me in the Fast break lane, I still got checked in at 7:58.   I found out later that they give you 30 minutes lee way to turn in the car.  After that, an extra day is charged.  So my sister will have to return it before 8:28 to get the extra day removed. They also didn't have the full size car I reserved and gave me a Ford Escape SUV.  Not sure it's an upgrade, but I do like the size and sitting higher, so I didn't complain.
So by 8 I was on my way to check into our condo. --- Kauai Beach Villas---about 4 miles down the road.  Love that after the long flight, I was "home" quickly.  Although they didn't have my reservation for Monday.  I had reserved Sat. and Sun. and later picked up Monday through Wyndham.  We resolved that the next day, but what is a vacation without a little more stress?!
Soon I had my stuff unloaded and was checking flight checker for my sister's flight that was to arrive at 9:45.  Fortunately it was 20 minutes early.  Especially since I had been up for about 20 hours already.
Dropped her stuff off at the condo, then made a trip to Safeway for a few staples.
And, finally, to bed!  Only to awake a couple hours later with a killer charlie horse!
Well, it can only get better now!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...