Monday, January 21, 2019



1-21-19 south side and E Kanikapila Kakou

Gotta love Snapchat with all it's silly filters!  What better way to keep in contact with the family!?

Then it was off to Dani's in Lihue for breakfast.  It was good---basic scrambled eggs, bacon and such.  They certainly serve a lot of people in a short amount of time. 
 I wanted to go to the farmers market in Koloa today, but I thought we had time before it opened, so we did a little shopping---at Hilo Hattie.
Love this quilt.
We got to the market at about 12:45.  I thought it started at 1:00 and wanted to be there before it opened.  Well, I was wrong.  It was already open and a lot of people were leaving already!  But we still managed to get a lot of things:  tropical flowers (my treat to myself whenever I'm in Kauai---along with the lilikoi pie), papayas, avocado, lettuce, broccoli-robi, and clementines.  The farmers were already packing up to leave as we were leaving.
Then we went riding around a bit.  Didn't do enough of that yesterday apparently!
Found a new sub division on the road that cuts over to Hanapepe. 
WOW!  There was an open house at one of them that I was dying to go to, but Carolyn didn't want to.  But I could see through the windows as we drove by and the view to the ocean was amazing!  So we drove around more of the neighborhood.
It's on a beautiful golf course, too.  I remember seeing the construction tarps up on previous trips where the golf course is now. 
Looking back towards one of the houses on the hill.
The landscapeding along the road was gorgeous, too.


I checked out some of these houses on the internet.  Looks like you could get a nice little place for a mere $12,000,000 or so.


Even the road into the subdivision is spectacular.
From there we headed back toward Lawai and over to McBryde Gardens.  Not to do a tour, just to check out the little garden in front.  I was excited to see they now in the reciprocal garden list of our Missouri Botanical Gardens membership.  Thought we might make it back there, but never did.  If I remember correctly, Limahuli was on the reciprocal list now, too, but the road past Hanalei was still closed from the big storm last year.
Carolyn posing with a huge hybiscus.

Irises???
Interesting wall planters.
Cute little gift shop here.  Love this wood working.
back to the little garden.
they even have eucalyptus growing here.
and other interesting flowering plants.
like ginger
and some Rainbow Eucalyptus trees with the colorful bark.
There is also colorful foliage everywhere.
and more kinds of hibiscus

Even saw another bird I haven't seen before.  a white rumped sharma?
Someday!
We continued up the street from the garden to the end
  nice views of the South side from there---and the Spouting Horn below.
Of course we stopped at the Spouting Horn.  While we waited for our turn by the railing to watch the spouting, I admired the view up the coastline.
slow shutter spout
It was doing a pretty good job spouting today.  Pretty consistent and strong.
looking towards Lawai from the viewpoint
I was surprised to see all the people in the water at the small marina.  I don't remember seeing people in the water there before.
Checking out the cool rental again as we were making our way to our real rental.
By now it was time to eat again.  So we headed to Keoki's Paradise.  I wanted to go for happy hour, but we were 15 minutes early.  So we just ordered real food and enjoyed it.
Rode around a bit more.  Slumming it now---this house was only $1,500,000.
Time to head back to Kauai Beach Villas to be back for the E Kanikapila Kakou music festival.  Since we did good on time, we stopped at the really great fabric store, Kapaia Stitchery.  They have the greatest selection of Hawaiian prints!  And lots of cool home made items.  I really like these kinds of kitchen towels, so had to buy one.


They had the cutest kids clothes, too.  Probably would have gotten my granddaughter a dress if they had one in her size in a fabric I really loved. 
I almost bought this one.
So Cute!!!!
LOVE these guys!  I meant to buy one!  Guess I'll have to go back!
1
Just some of the quilts on display. As we were leaving, they were talking about getting ready for a bunch of cruisers.  I thought it odd that the average cruiser would come here.  Turns out its a quilters cruise!  That sounds like fun!  I didn't know there was such a thing.
Still had some time, so headed up to Wailua Falls---of Fantasy Island.
Wish I was 10 feet taller or the grass was shorter so I could see the bottom of the falls better.
that's a lot of water!
The E Kanikapila Kakou show started at 7 (6 for hula and ukulele lessons)  We got there about 6:45.


It was a great concert!
 WAIPUNA (Kale Hannahs, Matt Sproat, David Kamakahi)  They are really good.  And had lots of funny stories.
I even entered the raffle for a Ukulele.  Donated my $5 , and actually won!!!!  Now I guess I'll have to learn to play it!  They even gave me a unique lei (which smelled so good!)  And I ended up buying one of the CDs.  (I see this ukulele sells at their store for $389!  I carried it around with my carry on stuff and guarded it like a prize---which it was!  Thought my son would like to have it, but he said it's the reverse of a guitar and he didn't like the sound.  But my daughter said she wanted it, so she ended up with it.)
It was another wonderful day in paradise!  With a spectacular ending!!!!  can't wait until next Monday to do it all again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...