Sunday, January 20, 2019

1-20-19

Up bright and early---as I expected, even though I was up almost 24 hours the day before.  But with 5 hours time difference, it would be after noon in Georgia.
Plus I wanted to take advantage of seeing sunrise while we're on the East side.
So I walked to the beach and joined the hundreds of other people.  I've been to KBV many times and have never seen so many people on the beach before!
Not that spectacular of a sunrise, but just listening to and watching the ocean was pretty spectacular.
Someone's artistic creation
Another artistic creation.  I didn't notice what looks like a Japanese Float by the teepee until just now! 
Another look North as I made my way back to our room.
Once Carolyn got up, we headed out for breakfast.  Olympic Cafe!! How I've missed you!  And your delicious meals.  Service was stellar again, as was the food.  Carolyn and I shared a 3 egg California omelet and Papaya.  It was really good!
I love the views from the open air windows here.
Usually you can catch some really interesting sights.  Today was pretty normal, but still enjoyable.
After breakfast, we headed to Lihue to have Carolyn's name added to the car rental.  With Costco Travel, an extra driver is free.  Since I'm leaving about 9 hours before her, she won't be stuck at the airport all day.  As long as she gets the car back by 8:28!  
Since we were in Lihue, we had to go to Hamura Saimin and pick up a lilikoi chiffon pie!!!!!  Can't come to Kauai without getting their pie!!!
Then we took a ride North.  Our RCI exchange into Wyndham Shearwater actually starts today.  But we needed somewhere to stay Sat., too, and Wyndham required at least a 2 night stay if booked more then 14 days out.  Then when the same type unit was available within 14 days and I found out the e Kanikapila Kakou music concert starts on the 21st, so I booked that night, too.  But I didn't want Shearwater to give our exchange away, so we decided to ride up there and get the keys.  Stopping here and there along the way.
Stopped at Kealia beach for awhile.
love watching the surfers
there were a lot of people out there today
Looks like some good surfing waves.
After getting the keys, we headed back to the East side.  And up through the countryside on the Kapaa bypass.
Managed to find Opaekaa falls.  While walking to check it out, a couple of these guys flew by.  I don't remember seeing them before.  I think it's a red-tailed or white-tailed tropic bird. 
the falls.
pretty little flowers.
zoomed in view of the falls.
of course we crossed the street to the Wailua River lookout.  Lots of paddle boarders out there.  They even managed to stay on their boards after a Smith's Fern Grotto Boat passed them.
We also stopped at Lydgate park to check it out.  I wanted to see if it had recovered from the flooding earlier last year.  It looked great!  Hope to get there one of these days.
I also wanted to catch a few sunsets from the South shore while we're still staying on the East side, so we headed to the Beach House in Lawai to watch it.
I was surprised to see the chairs now on the lawn of the Beach House.  What a great way to watch sunset.  Wonder if you have to make reservations for them?  There were waiters out there and everyone seemed to have drinks, so I'm sure you couldn't just sit on them.
Not too spectacular of a sunset, but---I enjoyed listening to and watching the ocean.
Thought we might get to see the "green flash", but clouds appeared on the horizon just before sunset.
and it's gone.
On our way back, we noticed the eclipse of the moon was starting.  We got to see most of it.  Shot this picture about 6:30 when the Blood Moon was pretty full.  Too bad I didn't have a tripod.
Picked up a few more items from Walmart, and were on our way back to KBV.  A lot of riding around today, but in some beautiful countryside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...