Monday, February 4, 2019

2-4-19  Kapalua snorkel!  and walk the trail:

Today started out earlier then normal for me.  Woke up about 5 and  figured I'd check the computer quickly and go back to bed.  That didn't end up happening.  Got into a conversation on Tripadvisor and ended up talking to another forum reader.  With us both being snorkel fanatics, we were trying to come up with a plan to meet up and snorkel.  With the brown water advisory, I didn't want to go all the way to the South side in case it wasn't clear and she couldn't come up here today.  So we agreed to snorkel our respective areas today and report back to each other and try again on Tues.  

By now, I was getting hungry and tired of cereal (which I also had for dinner the last 2 nights).  So I headed to Time's grocery store.  The sun had just risen when I left, so I stopped at a little park on the way to Time's and took a couple late sunrise photos.
 I was surprised to see they even have a really nice looking breakfast bar with quite an assortment of cooked foods for $8/pound.  I thought of getting a container full, but not having a scale there, I figured I'd end up with $24 worth of stuff for breakfast!  So I bought a dozen eggs for about $3.50  and 12oz of bacon for $4.99.  Also bought some pork chops and chicken so I could have something besides cereal for dinner.  Got back to the condo and made myself breakfast.

 I was hoping to get to Kapalua by 9 so I might get a parking spot.  No luck there.  Didn't get there until 9:30 and all the free spots were gone.  So I started to go to the lot by the tennis courts and noticed the lot just to the north of the free one was now charging $10/car until 3pm.  So I pulled in there.  Figured 5 1/2 hours ought to be long enough!---it almost wasn't!
saw this sticker on a car on my walk to the beach.
 I was still there early enough that there weren't a whole lot of people there. 
 The brown water didn't make it here.  In fact, conditions looked the best since I've been on the islands (little over 2 weeks).
 Water was much clearer then Airport beach yesterday.
Rock mover wrasse.
 saddle wrasse
 teardrop butterflyfish
 lots of these guys here this year---sailfin tang
 4 spot butterflyfish
 school of sailfins
 only emperor fish I saw here.
 large female bullethead parrotfish
 extensive coral and lone jack
 barred filefish
 unicornfish
 the coral goes on and on!
 an endemic pebbled butterflyfish on a huge coral head.
 more coral heads
 female bird wrasse
 blackspot sergeant
 lei triggerfish
  pink tail triggerfish

 sea turtle
 there she goes
 school of coronet fish
 lots of soldier fish by the large coral heads near the middle of the bay

 coral on coral
 leather jack
 looking back towards the shore
 shortnosed wrasse
 so pretty he gets 2 shots
 short bodied blenny
 stareye parrotfish
 black spot sergeant fish with darker stripes

 yellow tail corris
 school of convict tangs with a few followers
 convicts
 the blueist blue goatfish I've seen.
beautifully marked trumpetfish
 large cigar wrasse
 christmas wrasse
 cute chubs
Like swimming in an aquarium!
 brown surgeonfish
 white spot puffer
 Hawaiian gregory
 a young ring tail wrasse hiding on the bottom and 2 teardrop butterflyfish
 Really???!!!!!
 male bullethead parrotfish
 young peacock grouper
  after about 2.5 hours in the water, I decided it was time to get out.  These little guys were right at the waters edge.
 Spent the next hour sitting up here warming up in the sun.

 what a gorgeous day and gorgeous views!


 after I was dry, I decided to walk more of the coast trail.  this was looking south
 looking north

 looking back over the whole beach.
 continuing north

 pretty flowers.  Gonna miss them when I have to leave
 this is about as far as I got in the past.
 I noticed a bunch of people jumping into the water from the rocky outcropping.

I was hoping I could get to Dragon's Teeth.
 continuing on---did I find the area of Dragon's teeth?
 checking out the map
 checking out the point
 pretty good trail
 until here. 
 where's the trail
 I'm assuming the narrow rocked lined flat area is the trail.

 rocky, but pretty in it's own way
 gotta be a trail.
 some teeth appearing.
 looking back on the trail.




 really an interesting trial!


 trail's getting better again

 Heading back towards Kapalua
 Hard to really tell from here, but the beach was packed
 Got back to the car about 2:40.  Had to be out by 3 so valet could use the lot.  I managed to stay a lot longer then I thought I would.
Back at the condo, I decided it was time to eat again.  But instead of cooking all the food I bought this morning, I decided to walk across the street to Dollie's Bar and Grill for happy hour.  
That IPA sure hit the spot!
 They have some really nice happy hour specials!
 nice little place
 I got the $5 pizza.  I ate half of it and was full.   Now I'm beginning to regret that I bought pork chops and chicken!
 Then I headed to our beach to wait for sunset.  It was about 1 1/2 hours away, but where else did I have to be!?
 I wasn't expecting much of a sunset, so the only camera I had with me was my phone.  But sunset turned out pretty good.  Good thing my phone takes good photos!

 almost done.

 a beautiful ending to a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...