Saturday, February 2, 2019

2-2-19 Kauai-Maui

Woke up and finished packing up our stuff.  Took more trash and stuff out.  Including these flowers.  I was surprised how well they lasted the whole 2 weeks we were here!  Or almost---we got them on Monday at the farmers' market by Koloa.
 As I was loading the car, it dawned on me that we actually have the condo until tomorrow morning.  So I mentioned to Carolyn that she could come back up here and hang out after dropping me off if she wants.  I believe that's what she did.  (But since she doesn't have a phone, I don't really know.  I do know she turned the car in at 6:30 since the bill was emailed to me. ) 

We still left about 10.  I wanted to get brunch and to the airport plenty early for my flight.  I even let her drive this morning.  I was happy to be able to take pictures from the car again.   So I took these along our drive from the North side to the East side.
Princeville was still pretty well socked in with clouds. 
 Love all the Norfolk Island pines here.  The docent at Na Aina Kai said they were brought to the islands by the early sailors in case they needed new mast poles.
 There's even a waterfall along hwy 56 a short ways from Princeville.
 This clump of trees always fascinated me in our trips back and forth to Princeville.
 as did these trees covered in house plants.
 The mini golf course---sure is landscaped pretty!
 Next to the mini golf was a farmers market.  It seemed to be there several days a week.  I thought it would have been nice to check it out, but didn't get around to it.
and more Norfolk Island pines.
 Love these mountains near Anahola
 blue skies as we made it to the East side
 some of the walking path on the East side near Kealia Beach.
 Even saw a Great White shark!
 The Birkenstock store in Kapaa where I got my new Chacos.
 Didn't even make it to Bubba's this year! 
 Did make it back to Olympic Cafe---for breakfast.  We shared a ham and cheese omelet this time.  It's just the right amount of food for 2 people!  This was my half!
 Looks like there was a market going on just down the street from Olympic Cafe today, too.
 and  a lot of carved wood pieces on the corner.
 As we were leaving, I noticed these pineapples painted on the side of a building not far away.  Really cute!
 We had planned to turn here to get back to the highway, but there were lines down.  Guess it was windy here, too.
 made it to the Wailua bypass.  More pretty East side views.
 back on 56, I found the old Coco Palms to be rather interesting.  Last time we were here it was still boarded up.   Wonder how long it will look like this?!

 cows playing king of the hill
 Made it to the airport.  I was TSA precheck and got through security very quickly.  Then settled in for a 2 1/2 wait for my 2:30 Hawaiian flight.
 Finally on our way!
 bye LIHUE!  Hope to see you next year!  If not sooner!
 Hanamaulu beach near the airport.
 Almost to Kauai Beach Resort.  I specifically picked a seat on the left side of the plane so I could see the Kauai coastline.
 another view of Kauai Beach Resort and Villas (where we usually stay and stayed 6 nights spread out throughout our 2 weeks this trip)
 looks like a tug boat towing something.
 Love that they give you Hawaiian drinks on their flights.
 Lots of clouds still
 flying over Oahu
 more of Oahu

 Hanauma bay
 Lanai?  Molokai?


 A first for me!  Being above a rainbow!
 I had carry on only and hoped to get to the car rental place and be on my way quickly.  Well, that didn't happen!!!!  Instead of going with Budget like I usually do, I had gone with Thrifty since it was about $100 cheaper.  Unfortunately, they didn't have any cars ready.  They had excuses that 4 planes came in at the same time and they were swamped.  I was told my wait would be 45-60 minutes. 
 60 minutes came and went.  There were lots of unhappy people. 
 2 hours later!!!!  I was on my way.  Pretty bad when you have to wait over 2 hours at the airport and another 2 hours for a car for a 40 minute flight!  But I'm here and made it to Sands of Kahana without delays.  Maybe because it was dark and everyone was out to dinner.  But so far I'm impressed with my 1 bedroom unit!  Looks like it's been pretty recently remodeled.  Love the decor!  Can't wait for daylight so I can explore more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...