Wednesday, February 6, 2019

2-6-19 South to Ahihi with Susan, then Kam3 by myself


Woke up to another beautiful day!!!! Wish they were all this pretty, but alas, rain and high surf is on it's way.  So --- I better get some more snorkeling in while I can.

Susan (barefootnAR) and I planned to go snorkeling on the South side today.  So about 7:30, I in the car and heading South.  Met up with Susan at her condo timeshare and we took off together to Ahihi.

We walked down to the Dumps first, but a regular there told us it was pretty murky.  Not a place I want to go to when it's murky!  So we walked down to Ahihi cove.  Figured it was more protected.  
And it was.  Out past the shoreline it was pretty clear.  And wasn't rough like Airport had been.


 some  of the residents at the Cove:
4 spot butterflyfish

female redlip parrotfish
 black triggerfish
 school of convict tangs
 close up of a convict tang and a couple Gregories.
 a couple Susans
 back to the fishies
 ambon toby
I think this guy is a juvenile yellowstripe coris
 Orange spine unicorn fish.  Susan told me the orange spikes on it's tails are like razors.  She learned that at the Aquarium
 back to snorkeling in the big Ahihi aquarium
 Being a preserve, the fish get really big here. 
 only yellow trumpetfish I've seen this trip. 
 looking back towards the entrance from the left side of the cove.
 Susan spy-hopping
 more Ahihi terrain
 a lone yellowfin surgeonfish
 This was the only place where I saw Oval Butterflyfish this trip
 more terrain and assorted fish
 a lone jack
 another school of convict tangs
 even the deep water was clear out by the points.
 a really large peacock grouper
 2 oval butterflyfish
 a couple pink tail triggerfish
 juvenile parrotfish
 mullets
 After about 1 1/2 hours, we decided to head out.  Just as it reached low tide and the water had calmed down.  So much so that I got to take a bunch of pictures just feet from the shoreline.  Earlier it had been all churned up.
 Walking back to the car and looking back at the Cove
 Gonna miss this place
 It was nice being a passenger again.  Got to take a few pictures as we rode back.  Haleakala sure was clear.
 Passing Ahihi cove by car


 love the ride




 For the longest time, I remember the Makena resort being just an open shell.  Susan said they have a lot of it done now and took me by it.  Sort of hate to see that.  Now that beach is going to get crowded, too.
 back on the way to Kihei
 I hadn't eaten breakfast, so lunch was in order.  We decided on Nalu's.  I remember driving by it before, but I had never eaten there.  Ken and I definitely will next time we're on Maui!

 They make great burgers!  They also had breakfast still, but I figured I have breakfast makings at the condo, so I'd get something I don't have there.   It was $14, but came with chips and salad, too.  Plus the burger was a real burger.



 From there we went to Susan's condo.  I actually have an exchange confirmed into here for March of 2020, so it was nice to see an actual unit.  I'm sure we won't have this view from our room, but it is the kind of area I like to take sunset pictures from.
 I see they even have pickleball here.  I even went to the owners' get together with her.  Great group of people. 
 About 3 we parted ways.  She had stuff to do to prepare for her departure tomorrow.  So I decided to go check out Kam3.  I'm use to staying by the Kam beaches, so it was nice hanging out there for awhile.
 looked like snorkeling was possible,
  so I got my gear and headed down.
 had to stop to admire the wildflowers.
 heading to the rocky area to far right
 straight out
 looking left
 back to the right
 I was surprised how clear the water was by the rocky area
 didn't stay out too long---all the other snorkelers went in and I didn't want to be out there by myself.  I figure if I'm snorkeling alone and get into trouble, I want to be able to call out to someone for help.  Whether or not they would help, I don't know?  But I like to believe in humanity.  It was nice having Susan as a snorkel buddy the last couple of days.
 There were others playing in the water, so I just hung out over the sand for awhile.




 I thought about staying for sunset, but the clouds started getting really thick.  So I decided to drive back to the West side by daylight.  Good bye, Kam3.  Hope to see you again soon!
 Kihei bid me fare well with a bright double rainbow. 
 I also was curious about the Lahaina bypass.  By the time I got up there on Sat., it was dark, so I didn't know how I ended up on the bypass.  Now I see it's the main road.  Love the views of the mountains from it. 
 Since it was almost time for sunset, I continued up to Kapalua beach.  Figured there should be parking now, and there was.  Plus it's only about 5-10 minutes from my condo at Sands of Kahana.



 I don't think I've been there for sunset before.  Pretty nice place for sunset.
 Too bad we didn't get much of a sunset.
 and it's done.
 Another wonderful day in paradise!  Only 3 more to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...