Friday, February 8, 2019

2-8-19  looking for whales and picking up kids

Today is the day the "kids" fly in.  But they weren't arriving until about 4.   So I had most of the day to find something to do.  Couldn't even stick around the condo because housekeeping was doing it's weekly cleaning today.  So----
I decided to drive back to the viewpoint where I saw all the surfers yesterday.
 The water was a bit choppier and there were no surfers.

But there were a couple whales putting on a show.
 got lucky to catch this one breaching.
 They were pretty far out, but they stayed active for quite awhile.
 They even did some tail slapping.
 and spy hopping.
 This one looked like a little guy
 After awhile I decided to start towards the NE side.  Stopped at a couple overlooks by Honolua.
 found the surfers---they were at Honolua
 the bay was even browner then yesterday.
 Here's how I saw most of the breaches
 at a few stop lights, I shot some pictures of the West mountains.






 Still had quite a bit of time before I needed to be at the airport, so I decided to go to the Tropical Plantation. 
 Mango taffy???
 Passion Fruit taffy!!!!
 They really do have a lot of really cute and unique items in their gift store.


 I thought about doing the trolley ride again, but couldn't see paying $20 for it.  We did it once before and it was $13 then.  So I just walked around a bit.
 Thought the kids might be interested in their Chef's table dinner---until I saw the price of $150/person!
 cute little pond by the restaurant
 I just noticed the night heron standing in the pond!
 a blue-winged teal?
 looking across the pond
 looking towards the Mill House restaurant.  (The kids went here to celebrate their 16th anniversary on the 15th.  They highly recommend it.  They loved their meal and were treated great---even given a free anniversary drink and dessert.  Hopefully I'll get to go here some day!)
 and across the plantation
 This makes me miss Florida---and all the roosting birds.
 I got all the way around the pond and realized you can't go through the restaurant. 


 blue jade


 more views around the pond


 finding my way back to the front, I saw one of their empty trolley's. 
 love the landscaping around the plantation.  Love how these leaves look like they're painted.
 looking back towards the back of the restaurant.
 And walking back through the gift shop
 Had to break down and buy this for my granddaughter.  I loved that it's in the shape of a snorkel mask.  Gotta get her interested in snorkeling right away!
 Since I was so close to Stillwell's bakery in Wailuku, I had to stop there for a snack!  Lilikoi cheesecake!  So yummmy!!  When I was leaving, I noticed they had lilikoi chiffon pie, too!  Every time I've been there they've said they make that as special order, so I didn't even look to see if they had it.   At least I didn't have to choose between the cheesecake or the chiffon pie since I didn't see one of them!
 Still had a couple hours, so I decided to head up to Iao Valley since it was so close.  Loved all the painted buildings in Wailuku.  I don't remember seeing them before.
 made it up to the valley, but there were no parking places left.
 So I admired the scenery,
 Then headed back down a couple miles to Kepaniwai Heritage Gardens.  There are sections with architecture, gardens, and statues, portraying the Chinese, Japanese, New England, Portuguese, Native Hawaiian, Korean, Puerto Rican and Filipino people---cultures that contributed to modern Maui. .
 It's a cute little free park/garden that doesn't seem to be visited by many tourists.
 gorgeous views and lots of informational placards


 Love the painting on the Korean garden.
 a tree hugger?
 a big old banyon tree.
cute little orchids
more of the beautiful garden landscaping.


 interesting textures.
 the New England style house
 There's also a river that runs through the park.  I assume it's the Ioa River?
 pretty stream with lots of short cascading waterfalls.
 back to looking for flowers
 looks like coffee beans---I stand corrected.  I've been told they are strawberry quava. 
 and more little falls
There are a bunch of picnic tables in the park, too.  Would be a great place to have a picnic!
 When I left there, I headed to Kahului.  On my way, I saw another of the paintings in Wailuku.
 Since I still had about an hour until the plane arrives, I stopped at Costco and gassed up.  That took a good half hour!  Also went by Thrifty to show them the dent and scratch on the rental car and have them notate that it was there when I picked it up.  They came out to the car and inspected the dent---noting the clear sticker on it, and happily made the notation.  Don't want the kids to have to mess that later.

Speaking of kids, they were happy to be off the plane.  They were on the AA non-stop from Dallas, Texas which takes over 8 hours.  That was their connecting flight.  Picked them up about 4:30 and headed right back to Thrifty to add their names to the drivers of the vehicle. 

They were ready to head straight to our condo and unload their stuff.  We made really good time driving to Kahana!  50 minutes, tops! 
 After catching up on their social media and changing into Hawaii clothes, they wanted to walk up to the Maui Brewing company for dinner.  Sounded good to me.
 cheers!
 and a hefty serving for dinner!  Finally got my Kahlua pork.
 They hit the sack early.  Easy to see why since they were heading to the airport in Nashville last night before I even went to bed.  
I hope the weather forecast doesn't ruin their trip.  But it was 25 when they left Tennessee, so a little 60mph winds and 30 foot waves should be nothing compared to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...