Wednesday, February 13, 2019

2019 Kauai and Maui:

2019 Kauai and Maui:  (Jan. 19 - Feb.10)



Back in March of 2018, I came across a couple exchange weeks in RCI for Wyndham Shearwater in Kauai for the weeks of Jan. 20th and Jan. 27th.  I know Ken's not a big fan of changing islands, but I was really missing Kauai.   So I asked Ken if he would spend 2 weeks there and 2 weeks in Maui.  He said "whatever", so I immediately booked it before he realized what I was asking.  Sure we're Wyndham owners, but the weeks through RCI for The Shearwater are half the points they would have been directly with Wyndham --- booking that far in advance.  It was like being able to use our Platinum VIP advantage before the 60 day mark!  Except that we couldn't cancel without penalty, and we did have to pay the exchange fees of something like $200/week.  OK, so there are serious advantages to using VIP Wyndham status---which came really apparent shortly before this trip!  But at that time, I was excited with the thought of another trip to the islands.  
Then in April, when a 1 bedroom exchange with RCI came available for The Sands of Kahana for Feb. 2 - Feb. 16, I booked it, too.  Usually we like to get a 2 bedroom unit, but a 2 bedroom exchange in Maui is hard to get, especially in  Feb.  I was even able to book that one as 1 exchange---meaning only 1 exchange fee for the whole 2 weeks.

I also started watching for award travel on either American or Alaska Airlines.  In March, American had a good 20,000 mile fare itinerary for Jan. 19th.  So I booked it.  1 day before our exchanges started, but I'd worry about that later.

Now we were set!   Until June rolled around and Ken's right ankle collapsed due to diabetes---Charcot's.   That changed everything!  To avoid amputation, hospitalization and visits to Dr's became routine.  He had surgery in Oct. to fuse the ankle bones and had his leg broken to lengthen it to make up for the compressed ankle.  With an external fixator on his leg, we knew a trip to Hawaii was out of the question for him. 




 I doubt his leg would fit between the seats with the metal fixator on it.  Now the question was, would I be able to go?  Since we would be loosing money and points for all the reservations, I offered the weeks to the kids and my sister.  My sister was excited to go to Kauai even if I couldn't make it.  My son and daughter-in-law chose the 2nd week in Maui (for their 16th anniversary).  None of them had been to those respective islands before.  I hoped that Ken would be doing well enough by then that I could go for part of the time, too.

American Airlines was great.  I explained the situation to them and they reinstated his points and fees even though we didn't have trip insurance.  

Ken was doing pretty well by mid January, so I was able to fly out to meet my sister on Kauai, then to Maui for the first week there.

We were set again.  Until the  government shut down threatened Tim and Faith's trip!  Tim works for the Federal Government and Faith works for a contracted company of the Federal Government.  It wasn't until Jan. 15th that they got the word that even if the shut down doesn't end, they could still go.  Now to see if TSA shows up!  (I'm happy to say the shut down was lifted (temporarily) before the kids' trip.  Although since his trip had been approved, if the shutdown was still on, he'd have gotten to go on vacation, gotten all his vacation days back, and gotten back pay for the furlough.  Now to see if they're able to get home on the 16th since the shut down may go back into effect on the 15th!)

A side note--- my cameras this trip are: my Canon 60D dslr with 16-300mm lens; my Olympus TG-4 underwater camera; and my Samsung S-8 phone.
 

Kauai  (Jan. 19 - Feb. 2)

 

accommodations:

Wyndham Shearwater unit 108

Kauai Beach Villas, unit H08

 

Car---Budget---through Costco Travel:   full size (upgraded to Ford Escape), $439.95 for 2 weeks

 

 

Here are links to my daily Kauai blogs:

 

1-19-19  LONG travel day

1-20-19  Eastside, North Side, South side!

1-21-19 Southside and E Kanikapila Kakou

1-22-19 moving up to the North side

1-23-19 hanging around the North side  

1-24-19 Kauai Phone Repair!
  
1-25-19 back to the East side  

1-26-19 a trip to the west side

1-27-19 back and forth to Princeville, and a hike to Sea Lodge beach 

1-28-19 Smith's Garden, E Kanikapila Kakoa, KBV

1-29-19 back to the North side by way of Kealia Beach and Na Aina Kai Gardens 

1-30-19 kicking around Hanalei and snorkeling Anini! 

1-31-19 Poipu monk seals!  Moir gardens! Ahukini Recreational Pier State Park. 

2-1-19  chillin' on the North side---and packin' up

2-2-19  travel day to Maui 

 

 

  Maui (Feb. 2-9)


accommodations:

Sands of Kahana



car rental--Thrifty--through discounthawaiicarrental.com for 2 weeks---$588




Here are links to my daily Maui blogs:
 

2-2-19 travel day from Kauai 

2-3-19 Kahakili snorkel and lahaina sunset 

2-4-19 Kapalua snorkel, walk the coast trail, sunset 

2-5-19 Kahekili with barefootnAR and Kapalua by myself 

2-6-19 Ahihi with Susan, then Kam3 alone 

2-7-19  a ride and walks around the West side 

2-8-19 running around more gardens and watching whales until it was time to pick up the "kids" 

2-9-19 last day--and 9:30pm flight home 

 

The 3 weeks flew by!  Weather cooperated pretty much.  The 2nd week on Kauai was pretty rainy, at least up North.  Otherwise, there was lots of sunshine, even when it was windy and the high surf came in. 

Didn't get to go to possibly my favorite place on Earth---Tunnels.  The roads past Hanalei were still closed from flooding back in Spring.  But I had plenty of other places to show Carolyn in Kauai.

I had a fantastic time by myself on Maui.  Although I wasn't by myself all the time.  I met a snorkel buddy and she and I spent 2 wonderful snorkeling days together.   At the end of the week my son and daughter-in-law arrived and I enjoyed a short visit with them.  The week went too fast!

Even the flights there and back were pretty uneventful.  AA award travel there through Phoenix.  Alaska Airlines award travel back through Seattle. 

My accommodations were great! 

Only really bad time I had was on Maui when I went to pick up my rental car from Thrifty.  Usually I go with Budget and use the Fastbreak program (as I did on Kauai--was even upgraded to an Eco Sport Escape), but this time I went with Thrifty to save about $100.  I, and everyone else, had to wait at least 2 hours for our cars.  Should have joined their Blue Chip program!

Hope Ken is fully recovered by next year and we're able to go together then!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...