Tuesday, February 5, 2019

2-5-19 snorkel Kahekili beach and Kapalua

Another early morning.  Gotta love telemarketers!  4 calls between 5 and 7 am!  I would have turned the ringer off, but I was expecting to hear from barefootnAR in the morning, so I didn't want to shut the ringer off.   
So I got up and cooked breakfast---even baked some chicken breasts and tater tots for later. 
 Then while I waited for barefootnAR to call, I decided to go check out how to get to Napili Bay in case I have a chance to snorkel there.  Found a beach parking spot and went to check out the bay.

 pretty bay.  Not many snorkelers.
 even found this guy hanging out there.


 BarefootnAr called about 9:30, and we decided to meet up at Airport Beach (Kahekili Beach).  Sounded like a convenient place to meet.  Too bad it took me over 30 minutes to get there!  They were doing road work on S. bound 30 and 3 lanes of traffic were merged into 1.  But I finally made it.  Then had to drive around the parking lot 3 or 4 times waiting to catch a spot as someone was leaving. 
Talk about a small world----turns out BarefootnAR (Susan) used to live in the small middle Georgia town we moved to last July!  That and our interest in snorkeling and similar upbringing gave us a lot to talk about.  But first---time to hit the water----
 I was surprised and a bit disappointed that the water wasn't any clearer then it was a couple days ago.  It was also a bit choppy.  And I forgot my rash guard shirt with it's 50spf.  But with Photoshop, I was able to make a few pictures somewhat decent.
 Decided to show more of the terrain then the fish.
 here's a guy I don't think I got yet this trip---arc eye hawkfish
 definitely lots of coral.
 an occasional punch of color with these red pencil urchins.
 probably got these guys, but I like their synchronized swimming here.
 It was a busy patch of water---not only were there a lot of snorkelers and swimmers, but there were several kayakers and paddle boarders.  Amazing how oblivious so many people are in the water.  We were dodging people left and right.  But we did get to listen to whales singing almost the whole time.
 female stareye parrotfish
 stocky hawkfish
 palenose parrotfish
 more terrain and a black triggerfish
 the area to the far South of the park was actually considerably clearer then the rest of the park waters.
 looking back towards shore
 as we were heading in, after snorkeling 1 1/2 hours, we saw this group of orange bar surgeonfish.
 heading out
 After drying a bit, we headed to The Fish Market just up the street for a picnic lunch. 
 Took our fish sandwiches and went to Honokowai Beach Park and had a picnic.
 Such a beautiful setting for a picnic!
 As we were leaving The Fish Market earlier, I noticed this dent and scratch on the side of my rental car.  Susan had mentioned that they put a clear circular sticker on old scratches.  I was happy to see that clear circle.
 We split ways then.  Planned to try South Maui for snorkeling tomorrow if conditions are good.  Another cold front and rising surf is coming in.
So I figured I better get as much snorkeling in as I can---and went back to Kapalua.  Even got a parking spot in the free lot.
 Not as busy today.  The water was a bit rougher, but still really clear.
 Nice to be in clear water again.
 First time I've seen this guy this trip.  I'm still looking for the cute little fan tail triggerfish.
 yellow tail coris---love how colorful they are.
 pebbled butterflyfish
white spot box fish puffer
 loved the contrast of the purple coral and red urchin.
 the Hawaiian state fish---reef triggerfish.
 paletail unicornfish
 this brown surgeonfish were dancing in circles
 I've only seen that action one other time---in the Caribbean....  Courting?
 looking back towards the beach
 to the north
 don't see many of these guys here--white bar surgeonfish. 
 colorful female bullethead parrotfish
 not sure of this kind of parrotfish
 male stareye parrotfish
 palenose parrotfish
 cleaner wrasse looking for something to clean
 unicornfish
 ornate butterflyfish
 moorish idol
 female surf wrasse
 male elegant wrasse
 after a couple hours, I figured it was time to head back to the resort.  By way of these cute characters.
 Back at the condo, I ate my dinner of baked chicken and tater tots and salad, then walked out to the beach to watch the sunset.  I may not have an ocean view, but I have a pretty walk to the beach through the resort.


 The audience awaits


 Almost time
 not much color tonight
 Seems the clouds are always gathering on the outer islands at sunset.
 a little color off to the south
 a cute little shark went by
 a little color to the north
 the low color shortly after sunset. 

It was another fun day.   It was great meeting Susan (barefootnAR), beautiful day weather wise, and I'm feeling the Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our trips to the Hawaiian Islands

Oahu, Kauai, The Big Island, Maui Many years ago---around the year 1998--- Ken and I went to yet another timeshare presentation in St. ...